Proof we new how to build 'em: Granny's Comet

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm with you. If you take care of it it will last. I have guys tell me all the time that those older cars just didn't last very long. And then I tell them about my 71 1500 that had 300,000 miles on it when I sold it still running great. I hope to do the same with my trouble free ( knock knock ) 01 1500 that now has 140K on it and never even a check engine light:brow

63z11

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool Jay!!

Thats a great story. More people should be driving old iron and packing heat!:evil I dont know if its and O@#$a thing or a state of wis. thing, but I had an elderly customer of mine tell me the government is trying to pass a bill to give $4500 vouchers to people in trade for their old cars. Only to be used for puchase of a new vehicle that gets 4mpg better than what they are trading. Programs like this make me ill. Only cool hybrid I've ever seen is Gerry's fuel injected 409 suburban!!

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I'm with you guys on this.:clap My daily driver is a 1989 Olds Cutlass Cierra V-6 w/220,000 miles and never been apart. My Honey's driver is a 1973 Chevrolet Nova w/68,000 original miles( Yes,this the rough running Nova I had cylinder head problems with ) and our back-up car is a 1978 Oldsmobile 98 LS w/70,000 miles Diesel to gas conversion.:scratchPlus don't forget the classic insurance option.My '73 & my '78 cost me $140.00 a year for both with collision.:dealThe only new cars I ever had were the dealership demos when I was a GM parts manager.;)I have always had early iron as my daily drivers. Way too many to count. Right Ken?:cheers

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey Ken, I took the head out to Jeff Lawrence in Westhampton to have him check it out for me. The verdict was no cracks but it had 4 bad valve guides on the exhaust side.:clap I have never heard of that before. 4 exhaust valve guides at once.:dunnoThat means only 2 exhaust valve guides were good when the motor got to operating temp. He replaced the guides and did a complete valve job for under $400.00 with the complete head set.:deal That included the diagnosis charge. I thought that was a real nice deal. Kevin wanted $375.00 just for a rebuilt head and another $80.00 to $100.00 for the head set.:evil I am in the middle of prepping the head for installation this weekend. My tap & die set is getting a workout .:cheers:cheers

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My tap & die set is getting a workout .:scratch
Hey Butch you need to use either a wrench or a socket wrench on those nuts and bolts. Put the hammer away:roll:roll:roll

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sorry to hear that butch may be if you hooked it up to your air compressor then you could have a air hammer:roll:roll:roll