Quick primer on Z-11 heads

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
here is a photo the z11 head with the strsange triangleView attachment 17528

The "W F" within the triangle on the Z-11 heads is the logo for the Wheland Foundry that Chevrolet contracted to cast these iron Z-11 heads. They were based in Chattanooga, TN. Many people always think that it stands for the Winters Foundry, but that's not the case because Winters was an aluminum foundry.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My Z11 heads have a cast triangle in the middle of cylinders 3 and 5 and i believe have a WF in the middle of the triangle. I also have a blueprint of the heads if anyone is interested.

I was at The Studebaker Museum in south bend indiana over the weekend and saw a Studebaker V8 with a factory 2 piece dual quad intake with 2 afbs 304.5 cubic-inch, dual-quad "R4" engine

Looked a lot like the Z11 intake

What happenned to the Studebaker company was criminal, They made horse draw carragies for so many presidents including Lincoln.

My set has the CFD. Wasn't there a strike back then that caused them to use another foundry? Was that for Central Foundry Division????

I would imagine the ones that came on an original would have more value, But only to a guy with one of the original cars. I doubt there would be a difference in the castings. Changes = mo-money