Rear Control Arms

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have been looking at rear control arm options for quite some time now.....both upper and lowers.

The plan for the lowers is to eventually run 4 link style in the stock location and coil-over shocks, but in the meantime I have been looking at a good upgrade from stock. From what I had found:
1. The Hotchkiss bars look beefy, but are alot higher than all the rest.
2. Global West looks beefy too...and are round tube. Also a little higher than some of the others.
3. UMI look alot like the Hotchkiss and are nearly $200 cheaper.
4. Some guy on Ebay is selling some that look similar to the UMI ones for about $30 less.
I was thinking of ordering either the UMI or the no-name Ebay ones when I found option #5 and bought them last night: Metco billet aluminum lowers for $276.00 and free shipping on Ebay. This seems like a great deal to me and I thought ya'll might want to check them out.

For the uppers: I already have a UMI double-adjustable upper and have been planning on adding a second one in the near future. This may be the way I go still, but as soon as they open Monday I will be contacting DM Products d-mproducts.com about their double adjustable upper control arms that they have listed on their website for $139.99 a pair. They don't have a pic, but their arms for other models look well built. They do use heim joints instead of bushings, so they would be a little hardcore for most street cars, but mine is mostly race anyway. The price is so low I can buy a pair for what I'd pay for the 2nd UMI upper and I can save it for a 61 sedan I hope to pick up soon.

I will post an update on the installation of the Metco lowers as soon as they get here and on the DMP uppers as soon as I get more information. I'll try to get some pics of the DMP bars to post too. Here is a pic of the Metco Lowers. The bushings are poly and spring mount looks to be removeable.

Attachments

• Metco # MCA0015.jpg
    Metco # MCA0015.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 80

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Those do look nice. I am interested to see the uppers you are talking about.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I forgot to mention the lowers wasn't a one time auction from an individual....they had the full Metco line so I bet they will be listing more 59-64 lowers. They have the uppers listed now, but a pair are nearly $400 and although they may work great, the design just isn't what I want. They look way more hardcore than most other aftermarket ones...and if I was going to go there then a set with heim joints (rod ends) would probably be better. I know several on here have made their on with good results. If I ever do this again I am going to do the uppers like Denny? built for Fred's car. (I hope my memory is right on this.) The straight bars and upper 4 link housing brackets bolting to the frame brackets in the stock location. Looks like that would solve alot of problems with welding to a cast center section or for clearance with a 9", etc.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I tried several times today to call DMP about the uppers, but always got a voicemail. Left my number, but no call back yet. I sent an email this evening when I got home, so maybe I will hear back from them soon.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Why don't you just "box-in" your control arms, change to poly inserts, and put that money somewhere else on the car ? :dunno

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
The Global West arms would've been my first choice as they're 1) high quality parts and 2) use the "johnny joint" at the front to prevent the bind that prevents itself in arms that use poly at both the front and rear pivot points.

Although, given the price I'd probably just wind up building my own.