Rear Main Oil Leak

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have a friend that has a rear main oil leak in his 56 Chevy.He has a 69-71 454 Truck block and He's replaced the rear main 3 times and the Engine still leaks oil.I'm thinking the Cam soft plug is leaking oil :dunno .Does anyone else have any other ideas :dunno

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jim

You don't say anything about what has been done to the engine but I have seen the rubber gasket under the intake leak quite a bit of oil. A lot of these engines get put together with RTV and no gasket.

Bill

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill has a good point about the intake seal. And of course we must assume the rear main seal has not been installed backward. Could the owner be making the same mistake over and over installing the seal. Wouldn't be the first time that has been done. Anyway, hope you get it figured out.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bill,this is a new engine and my friend tells me that the oil is inside the bellhousing and inspection cover and is leaking bad.I'm going to help him pull the trans and check it out.Thanks Guys, Here's a photo of the engine.

Picture493.jpg

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bill has a good point about the intake seal. And of course we must assume the rear main seal has not been installed backward. Could the owner be making the same mistake over and over installing the seal. Wouldn't be the first time that has been done. Anyway, hope you get it figured out.

Ronnie,I asked my friend the same question,but his engine builder installed the 3 seals.I've been off work for 3 weeks with a broken left hand,so I'm going over to his garage and check it out.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Jim

Looks like a nice car too bad he is having problems. If the oil is coming from inside the bellhousing the other possibility is the two oil galley plugs next to the cam could have been installed and not tightened? They could have also been overtightened and cracked the thin part on top?

Hopefully it is something simple, good luck.

Bill

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Builders Error

Ronnie & Bill Good news,the engine or trans does not have to be pulled.The square groove on the upper seal was not installed on the square lip of the engine block :doh .My friend said the engine builder was sober when he installed the upper seal,maybe the builder should have had a couple of Beers when he installed the seal :beerbang

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Wow, you would think that an engine builder would get it right the third time.:dunno :dunno

I"m sure the owner of the car is a happy man now that you have found the problem, good job. :cheers :cheers

Bill