repopped hood hinges?

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Like most everybody else, my repopped hood hinges wouldn't stay up, they solved the hood alignment problem but had to be supported, especially after I oiled them. There was a discussion on this board about the hood hinge problem which morphed into politics so I started a new thread. I finally got a chance to put some time into this repop hood hinge problem. My original hinges were junk, I already welded up some of the slop and pinged some of the other slop but they eventually got real bad and were junk. The repops I bought worked well for a couple of months, then one broke at the rivet, so I welded all rivets and reinstalled them. This lasted a couple more months before the back of the hood began to sit high at closing, that's when I oiled them and from then on they wouldn't stay up, I had three sets of factory springs, one new and two used, but changing them had no effect. Since then I used a prop rod, but today I finally got some extra time to cut coils off the factory springs and here's the results, cut half a coil off and reshaped the cut end by heating it up and using a set of channel lock pliers to duplicate what it looked like prior to cutting, no change, it wouldn't stay up. Cut another half a coil for one complete coil and reshaped, no difference. Then I cut two complete coils off another set of old springs that I had, reshaped and whalla, it works. I must warn you though, they were a bit#% to put on after shortening them, it's not like I don't have any experience installing hood springs, done hundreds over the years although not many lately. Also let them cool slowly don't use water, springs can get brittle and snap if you cool them. They have a slight stretch in the springs when the hood is open after cutting two coils, if they're going to snap it will be when they're closed. If you hear a loud snap when you close the hood after heating the springs don't open the hood to find out what broke without something to prop the hood up, my guess is a hood with a spring on one side and none on the other probably won't stay up and will want to chip the paint somewhere as it comes down. I wouldn't waste money on new springs again, as far as the hinges go, new old stock first, but if you have to use repops, remember you might have to cut coils off the springs.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dave, Thanks for posting the repair you described. If mine should fail, I think I will use an attractive prop-up stick. Maybe something shiny, as I do like shiny things. I am too accident prone to try to use your method. Springs would be flying all over the place !! :roll

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Put on a pair of gloves and hold the spring with one hand, rarely do you hurt yourself holding the spring if your wearing gloves, it's the pry bar that can chip your paint and bang your hand, it gets tricky. Prop rod is a must, the hood should be fully open for a pro, and remove the hood if you're a novice, less stuff to chip or get in the way. lots of beer will erase pain quickly, cussing helps also.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I drive as many wedges as it takes to spread the spring then just hook it on by hand and knock out the wedges.