Rex's Mystery

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I didn't know Rex White had a mystery motor in 63?

Attachments

• img099.jpg
    img099.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 123
  • img100.jpg
    img100.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 152

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
We need NASCAR FAN to chime in here.......Rex White started the '63 season at Daytona with the '63 Chevrolet then switched to Mercury shortly thereafter. He also had another '63 Impala that started life as a 327, that car was street driven to somewhere out west, maybe Bonneville or the GM proving grounds. It was then converted to a race car and they ran speed trials with it. I've seen photos of the car, it was a red Impala with no lettering but had the mystery motor and racing supension.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Rex White

The LEGENDS of NASCAR website has a page on Rex White with a photo (scroll down) of the red 1963 Impala SS Mk II 427 powered test car. The test track complex was in Mesa Az. I believe GM sold the Mesa facility 2 or 3 years ago. The banked oval track was a whopper...about 4.5 miles around. There were also smaller oval and road course tracks within the large oval. The website has a couple black/white photos of Rex racing with Smokey Yunick's '63 Chevy Mk II.

http://www.legendsofnascar.com/rex_white.htm

Rick

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
GM did sell the DPG (Desert Proving Grounds) site a few years back. However, the facility is still being used by GM Nascar teams. A friend of mine who works at Hendrick went out there before Christmas to do some coastdown tests. Jeremy

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
GM did sell the DPG (Desert Proving Grounds) site a few years back. However, the facility is still being used by GM Nascar teams. A friend of mine who works at Hendrick went out there before Christmas to do some coastdown tests. Jeremy

I thought you were supposed to not "lift" those Chevy RO motors :roll:roll
robert