Safe RPM range

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
Mr. Goodwrench

I really like your truck. I have 3 big trucks myself. One is a 59 Seagraves
(Chevy) fire truck with 348 and 16,000 original miles. I have to turn about
3800 RPM to run about 46 MPH. The truck is geared really low. Firetrucks are not
made for long periods of open highway running. About twice per year I run
the truck about 25 miles at 3800 RPM and use Podell's lead fuel additive.
So far so good but I am worried that this kind of use can result in the issue
we are discussing. Can you tell me more about your truck and its usage.
What gear ratio does it have, tuning for this application, carb and induction
etc. My dad was in the trucking business in the 50's and had 2 '59 348's
that ran all over the south and west without any big problems and of course
the 409's in the earlier 60's would blow by most semi's on the road. He also
had a '64 409 that would fly as I remember. Would enjoy a post from you.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
Thanx geary we bought another one this spring 1965 chevy firetruck low cab / forward 409 5-2 7:17's in the rear 21,000 original miles. thinking about a 25' roll back for it.
Mine had a grain bed on it , as you can see I made a single axle tractor out of it and built that 42 foot trailer. it has a 348 5-2 with 6:50's in the rears. I didnt think the engine was to good (national rebuild), was going to build a 409, but this engine turned out better than I thought. as long as it hangs on I'll keep running it.
Too bad we cant get together and swap trucking stories, my wifes father has been in the trucking business since 1949 and still going strong, he bought all of these trucks new and ran the p$$s out of them, he said he never did blow a 409 but blew some 427's (hows that for the bigblock diehards :roll ) last 409 truck he had was a 64 which he taged and pulled a tandem axle trailer GVW was 73,280 he said it had enough power after he had it wound up in high gear you could actually back out of it and just cruise, something unheard of in those days. by the way 73,280 GVW was over 850 bushels of corn, more than he can haul with his KW W-900 with a GVW of 80,000, and had about $10,000 in the truck and trailer :doh THOSE were the days when money could be made in the trucking business!!!

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I love the stories BUT !

PICTURES, where are the pics guys. I love to read the old war stories but I enjoy them much more when there are pic. Have a great day.