Solid motor mounts

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fred , If I remember correctly GM installed them on both sides.
I had a car with a broken mount on the pasenger side that would rotate and the throttle would stick in reverse !!
THATS even scarier the forward !!:eek: ,,dq

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
broken mount

Jim, either one will put an irremovable crease in your drawers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beerbang

Fred

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
mounts

I worked in a Chevy dealer thru this recall & many more from mid 1970 to early 1975. The saftey strap kit was install on r&l side of the engine on all big cars , trucks,novas, camaros & chevelle . BIg & small block for sure. Can't remember any 6 cyls. or corvettes.

I install 100's of these for .2 or .3 of an hr. flat rate. I think Gm warranty labor rate was 8.00 an hr. & customer pay was 9.00 ???:bang

What was as bad or worse than the throttle sticking was when engine raised up the trans linkage would pull out of the frame mount !!! Throttle stuck wide open with no way to get trans out of gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Better be a quick thinker!! Seems to me the fullsize cars were the worst for doing this.

PRETTY SURE I'M RIGHT ON ALL THIS ??? :dunno

BTW i worked at YENKO CHEV in canonsburg pa. !:)

bobs409

Administrator
I have 2 Chevelles both with original 307's that don't have these. 1969 & 1972 Both cars were virgin when I bought them.

Of course, there is a chance that they never made it for the recall but I'm thinking *maybe* the 307 cars may not have received this? Not sure... :dunno

I'd also like to mention that in all my years of junkyarding, I have yet to see ANY car with these in any of my local haunts. While it's possible that some could have been removed, alot of the cars had to be untouched originals. I do remember someone I met years ago that had a 1969 Impala with 327 and it had these. (the only others I've seen in person) Seems 327 cars were sure to get 'em.

bobs409

Administrator
SS425HP said:
Bob, in the picture you posted, the restraint is on the passenger side. Should be on the driver side. Unless the picture is reversed, which I doubt, as the writing is correct. The driver side was the side that would raise up and pull the throttle open.
Fred

They are on both sides. This is the best pic I had so I used this one. :)

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
No Denny...just think it's cool that you worked at the dealers...were you there in the 67-8-9-70 era too ?:cool: