Speed O Possessed

My 62 Impala's speed o seems possessed.......jumps all over the place, sounds like a time bomb....My friend says unhook that beast before the dash explodes...What's the fix?????????

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Might work...

Mine does the same thing from sitting all winter. I hook the trans end of the speedo cable to an electric drill and run it in reverse for a few minutes. Might work for you? Seems like the magnetic part of the needle and drive rust up and little and cause a fitment problem.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
according to many many past post on lots of sites, it's the speedo head. needs to be cleaned. my 63 does the same. and it's not the cable.

Thanks guys....I'm taken the beast out tomorrow.....I lubed it best I could...helped some but now it sticks on 40/65/30/15ect ect...........

bobs409

Administrator
It really could be either the cable or the speedometer.

I would try the easiest first by unhooking the cable from the speedometer, then pulling the cable out of the outer casing. Fish it into a 1/2 quart of trans fluid, and gently wiping the excess off as you pull it back out. Then fish it back into the outer casing and hook back up, then test. That's the best way to lube a speedometer cable. If it works, your done. If not, it's the speedometer itself. Real easy to try anyway.

Bob

PS. I just noticed you saying the needle is sticking at various points rather than just jumping around. That would be the speedometer if that's the case.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
My speedo did that, and I gave it a shot of WD-40, on the place where the cable screws on, and it solved the problem.:clap

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My speedo did that, and I gave it a shot of WD-40, on the place where the cable screws on, and it solved the problem.:clap

I prefer to use CRC 5-56 over WD40 on parts like that.
Wd can get gooey and sticky,,, CRC also will displace moister