swapping third member: what additional parts?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have my third member ready to go into the car. I want to know what other parts are needed to get this done. I have axle flanges gaskets, GM limited slip additive, new hardware and washers for the third member and gear lube.

Do the axle seals (0-rings) need to be replaced when you pull the axle out? :dunno Should RTV be used on the differential housing gasket? :cheers

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Jason: I would install new O-rings. You have it apart, now is the time to replace all gaskets and seals. There is a rear axle flange gasket. (Felpro 13202) It goes on the outside of the backing plate, on the rear end housing. My personal favorite sealer is permatex #1 or #2 (brown) I don't like RTV. Good luck.:clap You are gonna love the 3:73's.:brow

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I already got the outer axle flange gaskets Skip so I should be in good shape there. I agree, might as well get the axle bearing O-rings then as well. I'll take your advice on the sealer as well :D

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
There is also an inner flange gasket. You have that also. Correct.:dunno:clap

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
no because if you leave the backing plate alone, I shouldn't have to replace that one (according to the service manual)

I can't find anyone locally that has the axle bearing seal...I think I figured out its Fel Pro part #453RR but nobody stocks it. SHOOT! I was hoping to work on it this weekend :doh

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
is it necessary to replace the O rings on the axle bearings when you pull an axle? NOBODY locally has these o-ring seals.... Thoughts?

UPDATE: I think I found the Fel Pro part # for the axle bearing o-rings but nobody has them locally...part # 453RR so I just went ahead and bought them from Showcars. SO close to having everything I need to get the rearend in the car but still so far :( Another weeks worth of waiting for parts

Stick62

Well Known Member
is it necessary to replace the O rings on the axle bearings when you pull an axle? NOBODY locally has these o-ring seals.... Thoughts?

UPDATE: I think I found the Fel Pro part # for the axle bearing o-rings but nobody has them locally...part # 453RR so I just went ahead and bought them from Showcars. SO close to having everything I need to get the rearend in the car but still so far :( Another weeks worth of waiting for parts

When I did mine I just got new bearings form local car quest and they pressed em on for me too! Too bad you didn't check first. If you have a local parts guy who you know and isn't the type that if its not in the computer it doesnt exist, always check there first. I got ALL my Moog front end stuff local also.

On the gasket, MY preference in the HIGH TACK sealer that comes in spray can. If you have to take it apart it peels RIGHT off...you don't have to use dynamite like the other stuff! NO silicone though!

Mark