The Brakes The Brakes!

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
sorry Tattoo.

The new brake system came in today and it looks damm nice! Got it from Mike Garcia of Mike Garcia Restoration Parts (909) 524-1140 1852 Pepperdale Dr
Rowland Hts Calif 9174858 Delivery aka 58 Delivery.

Here are some shots of the rotors. Friday nite if the weather stays nice I'll start the swap and take some notes and pictures as I move through it. I'll probably have to use a page on my site to cover all of it but anyone is more than welcome to use what they need for their own install.

Thanks Mike!!

IMAGE_056.jpg

IMAGE_057.jpg

IMAGE_058.jpg

IMAGE_059.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks, hope you're happy with them. Let me know how everything works after you're done.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi from Nuts

Mike,

How are you coming on the car overall. Are you going to be cruzing her around this summer ? Look forward to seeing you and the car soon.

Bill

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Posi's

Mike,

If you get a chance to work the posi's and there is an extra, let me know. I've been looking for one to complete the BelAir song !!!! :clap :roll

58impala

Well Known Member
Hey Mike!
If you bolt an original rim to your new hub, is the wheel still centered in the wheel well. It looks like from the pics the wheel will be further out and you may need 4" of setback or more to get clearance between the fender and the tire.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nut - I hope to be moving by summertime for sure. I want to be at the April test and tune. Building a new motor so the car is in parts. Putting on new brakes and other items as well. I sent the PM on the 275.00 converted POSI I found. I'll keep looking for a real one as well.

58 - I still have not flipped them over yet so that the calipers are twoards the back but I will this Friday. Was at the machine shop most of the weekend and nites working on the new heads and a mock assembly to check valve clearance. Damm huge cam is causing me some PIA but I should have it done by Saterday nite. I did measure the back and front sides of the rotors and they are square and "Look" like they sit about the same distance out.

I'll get it done though!

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
new posi?

Auburn, Eaton, Strange all make new bulletproof posi for the 17 spline axles, 58-64 Chevy. Under $500.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you try to bolt on a factory steel rim, it will rub the edge of the caliper (not by much). Factory steel rims were never designed for disc brakes. You can grind a little off the upper calip edge to gain clearance, or run aftermarket wheels. If you're running full hubcaps 1959 and newer you can run a 14X6 rally wheel, clears calip and you can still mount your hubcaps. For 1955-1958, Wheel Vintique sells a steel replacement wheel that has caliper clearance built in. Pretty reasonably priced also, about $65 retail. Around here most are running aftermarket mag rims so clearance is very seldom an issue.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
my plan is to use smoothies from paul polson 15" powder coated white :-)