THIEF trying to RE-steal my 409 Impala

Astro409

Well Known Member
The nerve of some people. There are some people that seem to never stop amazing me. The piece of crap guy that stoled my car back in 1998 is trying to steal my car again.:mad: Well, I finally recovered my car in the summer of 2006 after not seeing my 409 for over 7 years.:evil However, today my brother was at the park in the convertible 64 (with the top down) thanks to the Houston weather and the guy pulls up and 2 seconds later the cops are there too.:eek: Well, he is explaining to the cops how I threaten his family and that's the reason he gave th car back to me.:doh I remember wanting to kick his (you know what) but I never even gave his wife or kids a bad look(his wife was my girlfriend in middle school).:D That day I do remember talking to her nicely about old times back in the old neighborhood and about the kids she has and the kids I have.:rolleyes: Well, the cops told him that he needed to send me a notorized letter to my house after following some procedure that gave me 10 days to give the car back or respond on his accusations.:p However, now i'm gonna get his sorry *** in trouble which is something I should have done back in the end of 1998 when he claimed to have sold my car because I took too long to pick it up and pay less than $1,000 of the like $7,200 he had agreed to with my ex-brother in-law for the interior and the extra stuff he was helping out to retore.:nono1: My brother in law had left him the car for like 6 months in hopes that he would finish the car before he received the entire $7,200 since they had ALREADY given him around $6,500. He was a family friend so we know he would start crying about being broke to get more money from us so that's the reason the car got left almost half a year before anyone went back for the 409.:stooges In away i'm kind of happy he did that.:scratch I can now try to have the title he applied for in Novermber of 2006 annulled and hopefully even put him in jail since the last time too much time had passed by to do any legal actions.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jezzzzzz!!!! Time for Judge Judy!!!!!I don't understand,if you have your title,then how can he take the car??? John

Astro409

Well Known Member
Jezzzzzz!!!! Time for Judge Judy!!!!!I don't understand,if you have your title,then how can he take the car??? John

I do have the title but he applied for a lien title and got one in November 2006 which was like 6 months after I took the car back.:doh He is under the impression that he has like $20,000 into my car and I only gave him $5,000 when I took my car back and told him I would give him another $3,000 to get the title he so call had. When I went to check on the title I found out he had never gotten a lien title. And the more I saw what he redid on my car and the way it was the done it was the more and more I kept getting pissed that I was paying for something that I had already paid for but in quality work. For starters it has a backyard cheap paint job, the door panels have paint from the them closing the doors while still wet, the door hinges look like they didn't clean the grease before painting the hinges plus a bunch of SS emblems like the cove molding at the rear. He put new weather strips on the convertible rack top, re-chromed the bumpers and some other little stuff here and there. However, he forgot to tell me that he replaced them but my brother in law paid for the rechroming and the weather stips and other things.:mad: I also see two holes that were made on each side in the trunk by the quarter panels shortly after I got the car back and thought it was a rust problem.:cry Well, the idiot had welded two extra frame mount to the frame to close the natural gap in between the very back of the frame and the body shell.:bang I've never done a detailed walk around to save myself extra head aches but sure there are more bone headed customizing like the A pillars, the piece that goes across the top where the sun visors screw onto the car and the rear speaker are in red vinyl instead of painted the red color of the car.:eek: I told him that he is charging me like $3,000 for a paint job that I don't like or asked for when I already had a $7,000 quality paint job that was taken to bare metal. The interior can't be more than a couple of thousand but I gave him over $5,000 for the interior I was paying for. But like I told him, the $5,000 I gave him theday I took my car is more than enough being he completely changed my car (which now that i'm older like) back to its original colors.:bow However, like I asked him, why would you change anything on a car that doesn't belong to you?:cuss Imagine I take your car and redo whatever I want and ask you to pay me for doing work you didn't ask for??????:scratch He's answer is always the same, it was starting to get rusted and wanted to keep it from going to waste.:rolleyes: But I already told him, next time let a car go to waste.:deal Especially when they have given you around $6,500 out of a $7,200 ticket. Am I wrong?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hope things clear up

Wow, what a mess!

Now I know why I try to do a lot of my own work, with the assistance of others. I don't sign a lot of contracts, I basically work on a handshake with friends. We have a way of "adjusting" for extra efforts, things seem to work out over time. It's more like a communal barn raising for me :).

I do hope you resolve your discrepancies, seems like a sticky wicket to me :).

Good luck,

TomK

Astro409

Well Known Member
Wow, what a mess!

Now I know why I try to do a lot of my own work, with the assistance of others. I don't sign a lot of contracts, I basically work on a handshake with friends. We have a way of "adjusting" for extra efforts, things seem to work out over time. It's more like a communal barn raising for me :).

I do hope you resolve your discrepancies, seems like a sticky wicket to me :).

Good luck,

TomK

It was "a handshake with friends":bang :mad: :cry :cry :cry

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some things are probably better left out of the public eye. But since you brought this stuff up. Maybe he has a right to lien the car since you haven't paid him in full!

Astro409

Well Known Member
Some things are probably better left out of the public eye. But since you brought this stuff up. Maybe he has a right to lien the car since you haven't paid him in full!

You are right if it had been something that granted a lien on my car.:bow I'm for justice to be served when a party does not fullfill his obligations.:deal However, that was not the case with this car. I gave this guy alot of work from both of my body shops and also promoted his shop as the people that had done the upholstery in the cars we would enter into local Houston car shows. Which i'm surebroughthim alot of work because our shops would stayreal busyfor weeks after every show. I didn't have to give him free promotion or was in no way obligated to mention who did my upholstery but he grew up in the neighborhood I grew up in and we HAD many friends in common.When he claims that he thought the car's upholstery work was not going to get completely paid off he could have called the shops, brought it to the attention of anyone of the friends we had in common but he preferred to not mention it to anyone and fix it up his own style to keep it from rusting out in the back of the shop.:eek: Common on, the guyhadbeen in my mother's house yet he claims he couldn;t reach anyone? I myself took many cars by putting a lien on any cars abandoned at my shops for months.;) However, you need to make an HONEST attempt to try to recover the money owed to you before filing for a lien on any car.:brow Am I wrong? Furthermore, this hapened in 1999 and I took my car from him in the summer of 2006 which gave him plenty of time to file for the lien.:takethat However, i'm sure he knew that I was looking for my car all this time. So how do you keep a car from being found? You don't register it.:bang During all the time my car was missing I would call the Department of Motor Vehicles atleast twice each year to see if my car had been registered yet so I knew where to kick a door in and get what was taken from me.:argue: Not OJ Simpson style but that scene ran through my mind a 1,000 times.:cuss I doubt I would have done it that way but I can assure you that I would of made every attempt possible until that car sat in my garage as it does right now. I actually beleived my car was out there in hundreds of pieces but always lied to myself that I knew I would one day get him back.:cry

Astro409

Well Known Member

BTW, I agreed to give the guy the $8,000 which I gave him $5,000 the day I took my car in an atttempt to get my car that very day and not go throught the months it was gonna take to get him back through the justice system and risk him coming up with another sad story like maybe my car getting stolen and broke down into a part's car. I should of put him in jail that day but couldn't be 100% sure they would take him in and give ME my car back. But thinking it logically, i'm 99.9% sure that a court would have given me not only my car back but also money for my paint job and interior work. But I doubt I would of seen the money anytime soon either. So, if I did something bad to get my car back, i'm STILL very proud of myself and i'm sure my car is too if he had could speak.:eek:

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Doesn't the car have to be in your possession to be liened? And legal notices be sent by the DMV or the states legal system/motor vehicle system? Tow companies here in California lien thousands of vehicles every month just to add a hefty fee to the storage/tow/lien bill. They hate it when the owner responds to the legal notice because a lien won't be issued if the owner disputes it, at least that's how it worked about ten years ago when my best friend owned Triple L Towing in Riverside Ca.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Might be faster and cheaper just to pay the turd off in full and get on with life,,

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Astro

Nothing personal but frist I don't understand how anyone can allow themself to get in that position. Second unless your state is different than anything I have heard of you need to present the request to the court while the car is your possesion to get a lien against the car. Once the car is returned to its owner they can still take you to court but cannot attach the tiltle. This sounds like a soap opera to me.

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I am sorry I started to read this thread at all.

with all do respect,....
I just plain don't want to hear about it.
There is nothing positive that this thread can add to the forum.
good luck with your troubles.