Too Cold for 20w-50?

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I've got 20w-50 VR1 valvoline in the 409. I don't anticipate driving the car a whole lot this winter but would like to be able to start it and drive it around town a little if the weather is nice.
What lighter-weight oils are you guys using that have the zinc, etc. in them?
Ross

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ross, I think the safe thing to do would use Valvoline 10w30 and an additive, maybe something like models suggests. Good luck...............:)

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
IMO,,, 20-50 should be fine,,, anything thinner is too thin once the engine warms up,,dq

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i use Shell Rotella 15-40 in the 409 and the 469. it's the same stuff i put in the diesels, they get started no matter what the weather.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I also think you're ok because it's that initial start that is the problem and that is usually in a garage that is kept at say 35 to keep from freezing. Just add some of models ZUDDS or whatever that stuff is called:D
I would not recommend your oil if you had an outside winter car based on my readings but there are a couple of very saavy oil folks around here:bow

Robert

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
dippity do

Use a dipstick heater about a day before you start up. OR magnetic pan heater Or heater in the lower radiator hose.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Use a dipstick heater about a day before you start up. OR magnetic pan heater Or heater in the lower radiator hose.
We use a heater element in the lower hose of all of our standby generators at the well houses and pump stations in the county and they work great. Never seen one that wouldn't fire unless the battery was bad. We use the magnetic pan heater also on the big boys (V12's)
Robert

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have had a block heater in my 409 since 1993. People would look underneath the car and see the cord and ask , I would tell them "I think I ran over a Kettle".
I know this could open a can of worms but the Royal Purple Product works very well for several reasons and for most of our street driven cars 10w 30 or 40 would be very good under cold start conditions.