Torque Converter

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This rebuilt converter has been sitting in the shop forever but never used. I'm pretty sure I bought it for a th350 but thought I'd ask here to confirm . Numbers written was from the shop I bought it from but since closed.

IMG_7436.jpg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Possible Braised fins and Balanced, however let me check on that before we say for sure.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pardon my ignorance, but what does Braised fins mean?

Thanks for both your replies.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Torque converters have little more going on than meets the eye. However, there are fins tacked to the shell inside. During strong use they can fold over or bend. Most non performance converters built for trans shops are basic units with those fins tacked in place. Performance or heavy duty use converters will have each fin braised/welded for strength. This takes extra time, and cost more. There are probably better examples of how one works, however here is an idea.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Perfect explanation.
So I'm good to go with this converter.
Gosh this forum is great!
Thx

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
But wouldn't converter 350 and 400 be interchangeable?

Last edited:

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just read on line that the the flex plate bolt holes are larger on a 400 so I'll measure the bolt holes and confirm that today. I also have a th350 core so I'll insert the converter to the transmission to check the fit.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just measured converter to flex plate and the bolt holes are ok but the spacing is larger on this converter to the flexplate.
I guess I can either buy a new multi holes flex plate which would be cheaper or a 350 converter.
But 1st I need to check if the convert's spline will fit the transmission front spline.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don, thx. I just came back from NAPA auto and ordered one. It'll be in first thing in the morning.