Website update! Website Update 2/7/14

bobs409

Administrator
348-409.com Website update 2/7/14

It's that time again, another website update. I hope 2014 turns out to be a great year for all of our members and their prized Chevy's. With lousy weather here (and most of the country) I've had plenty of time to get a lot done on the website lately. Many things to mention so lets get started...

tack.gif
The Forum software was upgraded to the latest version on 12/15/13. Many new features were added as part of that package.

tack.gif
10 new smilies were added to the forum on 12/15/13. Also, you can now drag-n-drop these into your message if desired.

tack.gif
Attaching photos to your post just got alot easier. No more re-sizing your files ahead of time which gave many of the members headaches. Now the forum resizes them for you automagically!

tack.gif
The latest version of the forum removed the log out link from the upper right corner. I installed an add on that brought this link back and it now sits just above the search box.

tack.gif
2 new forum "styles" were added. The first is one I found available online and is called "Winter" and it's for the person that really likes BLUE! The second one I created myself which is called home page theme and is based on the main home page colors & textures. Changing styles allows you to view for the forum in different designs and colors. You can switch around at anytime so don't be afraid to try them out. The plain default style will always be available for those that like things simple. To change the style, click the link in the lower left corner of any forum webpage.

tack.gif
State Prefix's were added to some forums on 12/24/13. U.S. state prefixes were added to: For sale, Wanted, Freebie, Make offer & Events forums. The poster can now select their colorful state prefix to show next to the title of their post.

tack.gif
Online / Offline banners have been installed which show if the user is logged in or not. These show just below the persons avatar.

tack.gif
An "Info" tab was added to the navigation bar just under the logo at the top. This tab makes it easy to access various areas of the forum and main website pages. There is even a link to a site map page so you can easily access all pages of the main website. Other short cut links will be added to this area as they are needed.

tack.gif
An FAQ page for the forum was created and added into the Info tab area. This will help answer various questions about using the forum. A new members roster page was created as well that shows who donated to the site. See that here: Member Roster
tack.gif
The For sale, Wanted, Make me an offer & Freebies/giveaway forums now have an automatic expire function for threads after 60 days of inactivity. This saves me from having to go in and manually clean up those areas all the time. Your post will expire 60 days after the last reply has been made to it. You can still manually delete any of your ads if your item sells to avoid unnecessary inquiries. (the Test track forum also has an automatic expire function that is set to expire posts after 10 days of inactivity)

tack.gif
An events calendar was added to the forum 12/23/13. This is a great way to announce any car events that you know of. On the day of the event(s), an announcement will automatically appear at the top of the forum. To learn how to add an event, see the tutorial by clicking here.

tack.gif
Ability to post tables in a threads added 1/16/14. While this isn't for everyone and does take some practice, it's a great way to display charted information that is sortable by the reader. To learn how to add a table, see these tutorials: Adding a table manually and also the Copy & paste method.

tack.gif
An events archive forum was added into the main events forum on 1/12/14 (all expired events and any discussions of them, "pre-2014" have been moved into this archive forum in an effort to keep things neatly organized)

tack.gif
Custom fields were added to the events forum on 1/18/14. Now when you post in this forum, you will have various text boxes to fill in helping you list your event correctly. In addition, the state and starting date that you fill into these boxes will also appear under the thread title.

tack.gif
Custom fields were also added to the for sale section on 1/15/14. These will help you get your item listed correctly with text boxes to fill in. The country, state and price that you fill into these boxes will also appear under the thread title.

tack.gif
A new Library area was added to forum 1/16/14. Click here to see this new area. The new Library will contain various Articles, How-to's, Charts, Tips & FAQ's. Many new charts have been added to this area which include:

• Transmission gear ratio chart
  • Speedometer gear chart
  • Metal gauge & weight charts for steel, galvanized steel, stainless steel & aluminum.
  • Drill bit speed charts for twist bits, Brad point, Forstner and spade bits.
  • 1958-65 Chevy bulb chart.
  • Length - Unit conversion chart for meters, feet, inches, yards, kilometers & miles.
  • Fractions - Decimals - Millimeters conversion chart.
  • Steel Bolt Torque Specification chart.
  • 18 inch radial tire/rim chart.
  • 17 inch radial tire/rim chart.
  • 16 inch radial tire/rim chart.
  • 15 inch radial tire/rim chart.
  • 15 inch bias ply tire/rim chart.
  • 15 inch bias ply tires.
  • 14 inch radial tire/rim chart.
  • 14 inch radial tires.
  • 14 inch bias ply tire/rim chart.
  • 14 inch bias ply tires.
  • Article on Setting valve lash.
tack.gif
A Notable Members tab was added on 1/25/14. Now when you click on the Members Tab in the navigation bar you now have options to see who is in each Supporting Member group which is currently 1 thru 9 and growing. While we're on that subject, a very big thank you to all of our Supporting Members especially those in the upper groups! It is our supporting members that keep the lights on here at 348-409.com.

Many more new forum features are already in the works but I won't spoil the surprise. Stay tuned for those and more great things here at 348-409.com!

Stovebolt V8

Supporting Member 1
Well done Bob! Nice new fresh look!! Like a new paint job

Attachments

• beerbang[1].gif
    beerbang[1].gif
    478 bytes · Views: 3
  • clap[1].gif
    clap[1].gif
    1.6 KB · Views: 1

mike s

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Great job Bob!!! I just sent you some $$ by Paypal to help support the site!!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It is a great thing you do for us mer mortals. Cant thank you enough.:cheers:dance

Bill

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Yes Bob, we have a great thing going here, thanks for providing it.....................:cheers