what's hiding in the bushings?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I need to change the upper and lower front A-arm bushings. Please relate your experiences to me. I will get the parts ordered up today, and get started on it after I change the oil pan gasket and main seals. Only leaking a little oil now, so I drove it to Summer Knights cruise last night. Left a WRX in my mirror on the way home. Rolled out of a light together and only saw him in my mirror after that. Shut it down top of second gear (TH400).

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Model,

If you don't have a hydraulic press, take the control arms and the new parts to a front end shop and have them install the new bushings for you. You can drive the old bushings out with an air chisel, but you need the press to install the new ones.

WRXs are fast, good show:clap :clap :clap

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Every one I rebuild is always my last. But I think I finally have done my last. My suggestion is to take the whole damn car to the front-end shop. Pick it up a week later, pay the man, drive home. :) :)

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Models,you can remove the bushings with an air chisel as Rwagon57 says,but you don't need a press to install the bushings.Get a short piece of pipe the same size as the bushings collar and drive them in with a big hammer,I've done alot of them this way.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Be careful pressing them in. You have to have the arm supported right or you will mash the legs/sides together. not good. If you take it some where, ask the shop if they have the right tools for this. I had one turn me away because they found out they coouldn't do the lowers on a Vette. Simular if not the same. Same bushings.

Never tried it, but alot of people say freeze them over night and they shrink enough to make it easyer. I would use a deep freeze, colder. Pull them out one at a time. You could just use this as an excuss to buy a shop press. They come in handy.

No409

Supporting Member 1
i usually air chisle them out, and hammer them in with a socket. or ive used my ball joint press kit. that works decent also