Wheel back space

58impala

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the correct back space or set-back for the original 14" steel rims on a 1958 Chevy. I think Impala, Bel Air, and Biscane are the same. A local fellow has a set for sale and claims them to be '58 wheels. They are correct bolt pattern and stamped 14/5 which is correct. They also have the slots. Any info here would be appreciated. Original wheels are what I'm looking for but I don't want to buy these until I'm sure about the back space. Thanks for your help!

58impala

Well Known Member
Is this correct '58 rim?

Here's what I think is correct, can anyone confirm this? 14X5; 3 1/2" back space.

58impala

Well Known Member
I see there's no replies to my rim question. I guess no one knows the answer. Must be more owners than builders on this Forum!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Okey dokey Jim, You made feel guilty, so I measured a 1961 5" wheel. Backspace measured 3 1/2 ". I have run into later model 6' wheels that hit the tie rod ends. Not sure of the back space on those wheels.

bobs409

Administrator
I'm looking at a chart in the Chevrolet by the numbers book but they don't have backspaces listed. :scratch

For 1958, they show passenger cars to have used 14X5 J wheels. (taxi & police used 15 inch)

Here is the other info they list for the 14 X5 J:

bolts: 5
bolt center: 4 3/4"
bolt size: 7/16"
center hole: 2.91
offset: .56
Constr. W
Rim ID: 12.328
Mfg: KH

The KH is for Kelsey Hayes manufacturing company.

Bob

58impala

Well Known Member
I don't understand the .56 offset, unless they are refering to offset from center. That doesn't make sense because with a 5" rim that means just over 3" backspace. Maybe they are refering to some other center other than the center of the rim. It seems to me that several year models around that era used the same 14" X 5" and the same GM lug pattern of 4 3/4" but there must have been different backspace for each year model to clear body panels, tie rod ends, fenders, frame, etc. I'm certain that the 14"X 5" X 4 3/4" didn't change from '57 to '60 whatever, but I can't believe the backspace didn't change. Even the hole dia. probably remained the same. So the issue becomes, what is the correct backspace? Somebody out there must have a survivor with known wheels that can help us out here.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Wheelin....

Jim: I don't know about the back space, but years ago I bought 2 rims off a neighbors 57 Chevy Belair. I used them to mount snow tires, on my 64 Impala. When spring arrived, and I went to remove them, they were stuck to the axle hubs. That's how I found out the holes were a little bit smaller. I may still have one of these somewhere. I know this doesn't answer your question. Skip:)

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In the may 2006 classic chevy magazine it has an article on how to ID wheels and it states that the 58 wheel has a 3 15/16 inch backspacing and it is measured with the wheel laying on the backside and measure to the top of the inner wheel disk.It also says they have 4 nubs to help hold the hubcap on and most have G and M stamped on the front center.

58impala

Well Known Member
In the may 2006 classic chevy magazine it has an article on how to ID wheels and it states that the 58 wheel has a 3 15/16 inch backspacing and it is measured with the wheel laying on the backside and measure to the top of the inner wheel disk.It also says they have 4 nubs to help hold the hubcap on and most have G and M stamped on the front center.

Thanks Bill,
If I'm understanding you correctly, the TOP of the inner wheel disc means the lug nut side of the inner disc..........is that correct? Did the article have the bore diameter? It seems that is a critical measurement as well. I know my '58 has two '57 wheels on it because of the solid dish (no slots).

bobs409

Administrator
Didn't Late Great Chevy's also do a Tech story on how to identify the different wheels? I think they did.... :dunno

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes Jim the lug nut side of the wheel is what the article calls the top side.It does not give the bore diameter.It slots are 1/8inch wide and 3 1/2inches long. The 59 thru 61 wheels have 1/2 inch wide and 4 3/4 long slots.Yes Bob the article was by Denny Williams who was a big part of Late Great and may have been used before.It covers the wheels from 55 thru 64.

58impala

Well Known Member
OK, here's an update on my wheel question. I pulled all four wheels and measured them all, and they are for the most part dimensionally the same, although none of them are '58 wheels. One is from a '57 (no slots) the other three have slots too large for the '58 wheel. As bobs409 posted, the Chevrolet by the numbers book states the offset as .56. I found that dimension listed elsewhere for these wheels but no explanation of how to measure this. Can anyone explain this?

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi, just type in "wheel back space" and a ton of good sites will help you.
i did this a few years back and got lots of great info. and there are pictures to
show you what you need to know. hope this helps. mike

58impala

Well Known Member
Hey Mike!
I don't know why I didn't think of that before but you were right..........turns up tons of info and gave me all I needed to know. Many thanks