Why I want a 409 !!!

spike 409

Well guys here goes.When I was 14 years old there was these 2 high school kids that had 409's.Living outside of town a ways it was the perfect spot for these kids to race.What a rivalry they had wanting to see who had the faster 409.they would be out there 2-3 times a week racing there cars.Both were Impala's,one was light green and the other was dark blue.I have never forgotten about those 409's.I am now 60 years old and retired and it was time to build my own.I recently purchased a 409 truck engine and a 62 biscayne from e-bay and my purchase is so new that I haven't received either the car or the engine yet.I woud like to build the engine in somewhere in the 450-600 HP range.Would you guys be able to give me some insight as to what I'm looking at to complete such a build ?The car presently has a 327 with a saginaw 4 spd & 8.2 10 bolt open rearend.Looks like I got a lot of work ahead of me,and would apreciate all the help I can get planning this build up.I plan on driving it on the street and also making all the nostalgic races I can.What would it take to have this car run in the 12's ? Sincerely, Spike 409:

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome Spike, There are many threads on this site to help you. I think you can achieve your 450 hp with a stock stroke 409. 4.11 gears and good tires should put you into 12s. Not sure if the saginaw will hold up though. The new Edelbrock heads and intake will be a big help for you. Glad you found us,,, need info. ,,, just ask. Plenty of good people on this site.