Z-11 Eonic Camshaftg

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Phil, I forgot I had another Eonic cam. This one is in great shape as opposed to the one I sold Doug. Several years ago I bought up a bunch of Z-11 stuff and included with all of it was this cam. Not sure which original car it came out of, but I do know it came from the Memphis area in the late 1970's. Remembering back most everyone changed the cams for the obvious reasons and this one is in great shape. I will attach more photos when Brian has time to teach me more. Just an FYI. Pat.
Z11_Eonic_Cam.jpg

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil, I forgot I had another Eonic cam. This one is in great shape as opposed to the one I sold Doug. Several years ago I bought up a bunch of Z-11 stuff and included with all of it was this cam. Not sure which original car it came out of, but I do know it came from the Memphis area in the late 1970's. Remembering back most everyone changed the cams for the obvious reasons and this one is in great shape. I will attach more photos when Brian has time to teach me more. Just an FYI. Pat.
Z11_Eonic_Cam.jpg
When I bought my Z parts the guy had a lot of the motor but no block. I didn't get anything but the top end and pan. Only wanted the parts to race with. Once again, hindsight. Bob

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
When I worked for Chevy back in the day we always had about 3 Z-11 cams in stock at all times. I sold a lot of them back then .The part # then was 3837735. I had one for a replacement for my '63 QB block. I sold it with the motor a few years ago. Was the 7735 cam the over the counter replacement for the factory 7736 ?.
Butch:crazy:cheers

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
When I worked for Chevy back in the day we always had about 3 Z-11 cams in stock at all times. I sold a lot of them back then .The part # then was 3837735. I had one for a replacement for my '63 QB block. I sold it with the motor a few years ago. Was the 7735 cam the over the counter replacement for the factory 7736 ?.
Butch:crazy:cheers
I worked in a Chevrolet dealership parts department back in 1963, and as best I can remember the 735 cam was the over the counter cam that was specified in the parts book and it had a 736 casting, Someone smarter than me can fill in the blanks here, but I believe the actual cam profile for the 736 Eonic cam was different than the 735. In addition, the Eonic I have has a casting for the shaft of 046 and the 736 is machined into the end as you can see in the photo. I might have a 735 around here and will look to see what casting it has. The Chevrolet book I believe calls for a 736 casting. If that is actual(some one go look at their 735 cam) then they are definitely 2 different castings, but might have the same profile. My memory is a little clouded by time by the fact that the older I get the faster I was, but I think I remember the over the counter cam was the 64-65 Hperformance cam that was the same HP rating of 425(of course we all know that was suspect). Anyway, I believe in 1962 Chevrolet had the local Detroit cam company Eonic grind the cam for the Z-11 for them just for the 427 engine. I never did believe it was the same, but never took the time to check the 2. Since I had a 409 with a Z-11 top half in a 61 back then, I thought that cam was entirely too mild anyway, so I opted for a Crane Zip 606, .606 lift and a 324 duration and after quite a few runs lots of bad things began to happen. The cam Phil has did in fact come out of Dick Harrells car because a friend of mine owned it at the time and he was the one that lost the lobe that is bad on it now. I sold it to Doug Hughes way back and was surprised that he still had it. Never thought there were not many of these around, but guess not. I do not plan on selling this one, I will probably put it in an engine I am working on, thanks any way. If I find the other 735 cam I will see what I find and will post the results, thanks, Pat.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Pat thanks for the history lesson and hope you continue. I am thinking about a return Dallas and the colony trip this winter.
Robert

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
736 was probably the bare machined casting. As soon as a dowel pin was added it became an assembly which might explain the 735 number

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
736 was probably the bare machined casting. As soon as a dowel pin was added it became an assembly which might explain the 735 number
Actually the bare machine casting is cast 046 and the 3837736 on the end of the shaft is machined in and the Eonic and Detroit are obviously added later. Just my observation. I will see what else I can determine for those interested, thanks, Pat.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Just another thought on the Eonic cam. The one I have is probably the one that was provided as a spare to the racers of the day and the one Phil has was the one installed in the engine by Chevrolet. The first ones were pencil scribed and the second batch machined and scribed by Eonic. Pat.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I worked in a Chevrolet dealership parts department back in 1963, and as best I can remember the 735 cam was the over the counter cam that was specified in the parts book and it had a 736 casting, Someone smarter than me can fill in the blanks here, but I believe the actual cam profile for the 736 Eonic cam was different than the 735. In addition, the Eonic I have has a casting for the shaft of 046 and the 736 is machined into the end as you can see in the photo. I might have a 735 around here and will look to see what casting it has. The Chevrolet book I believe calls for a 736 casting. If that is actual(some one go look at their 735 cam) then they are definitely 2 different castings, but might have the same profile. My memory is a little clouded by time by the fact that the older I get the faster I was, but I think I remember the over the counter cam was the 64-65 Hperformance cam that was the same HP rating of 425(of course we all know that was suspect). Anyway, I believe in 1962 Chevrolet had the local Detroit cam company Eonic grind the cam for the Z-11 for them just for the 427 engine. I never did believe it was the same, but never took the time to check the 2. Since I had a 409 with a Z-11 top half in a 61 back then, I thought that cam was entirely too mild anyway, so I opted for a Crane Zip 606, .606 lift and a 324 duration and after quite a few runs lots of bad things began to happen. The cam Phil has did in fact come out of Dick Harrells car because a friend of mine owned it at the time and he was the one that lost the lobe that is bad on it now. I sold it to Doug Hughes way back and was surprised that he still had it. Never thought there were not many of these around, but guess not. I do not plan on selling this one, I will probably put it in an engine I am working on, thanks any way. If I find the other 735 cam I will see what I find and will post the results, thanks, Pat.
Pat I ran a Z-11 cam in my 64 . At 60 over with bone stock 690's and Stahl headers it went 11.85/118 before I put the Z top half on. I put it in at 110 and had a 5.13. Not a bad cam