Dick Keinath passes

oil4kids

Well Known Member
http://detnews.com/article/20100710/OPINION03/7100326/Engineer-put-muscle-in-Chevys#ixzz0tI2IgL5o

Richard Keinath aka "Dick Keinath" has passed away tonight, July 7.

Although most famous for designing the 427 Big Block Daytona Mystery motor, he was Chief Engine Engineer and Chief Drive Train Engineer at Chevrolet.

He held every job in the engine group from working on the powerglide and dynaflow to drafting room working on the 348 heads to working with Ed Cole and Ed Kelly on the small block Chevy.

He ended up working for Don McPherson who was VP of all North American operations for General Motors He also worked with Zora Duntov making the 348 more powerful for the Nascar group. Richard worked on the rams horn exhaust manifolds, the corvair engine, the 302 Chevy. In 1959 he worked on an all aluminum engine, alloy cylinder heads for the corvette engine. He also worked on Chevys 4 cyl, 6 cyl 194, 230, 250 to replace the old stovebolt and he had the responsibility for the 409 passenger car engine.

Bunkie Knudsen gave him the go-ahead to build a replacement engine for the 409 and was given a blank check for the job. Although he started with the 409 bore centers the “new mystery Motor “only kept the bottom lip pan rail of the crankcase and oil pan. Although the mystery motor started out as 409 cubic inches in July 1962. it was most famous as the 427.
His design was without computer aided equipment. In October 62, he got a phone call from NASCAR after some political negotiating, a new stroker crankshaft was added with new rods and pistons and the 427 engine was born. According to Tom Poole the Chevy engine dyno man, the new engine was good for about 10 more mph, a lot of hp over the 425hp 409. He later went to work for Junior Johnson

Although he was a quiet, gentle man, His Engines continue to Roar.

There’s more but that’s all I can write right now.

God’s Speed Mr Keinath.

CATS 09

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
great information about this man,and nicely written. dacades ago when i was much younger and the love i have for these great engines was being forged in my soft brain, it was articles in magazines about engineers like richard (although i honestly don't remember the name) that had me mesmerized how they'd go about modifying these engines over and over making more horse power. they definitely were my hero's. i day dreamed many an afternoon that i might someday have a job like that doing the same kind of thing. may he R.I.P.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
One of the true pioneers of the auto industry......... what a wealth of knowlege lost.

Dave

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
R.i.p.

Mark, thanks for posting that about Dick Keinath. Hopefully the legendary efforts he was a part of will be well chronicled forever.

Best,
TomK

oil4kids

Well Known Member
thanks, I will write up someting better, i just put that together real quick, I met him after his surgery in in 2007 and were friends ever since. I will try to write down all of his stories but the best is when Ford wanted head gaskets for the Mystery Motor that they aquired and tore down for inspection. They wanted to run it in one of there cars. Keinath told Ford to buzz off. Ford later offered him a senior engineering job but he refused to work for them, saying he was always a Chevy man. He probably would have lived a better life if he took the job when Jr Johnson switched to Ford, however, but thats only my opinion.

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mark, I agree with you about Dick Keineth being one of those VERY IMPORTANT men behind the scenes who really should have been recognized MUCH MORE for his achievments! The infamous 427 CID Daytona Mystery Motor was HIS brainchild and therefore he should actually be credited as "father" of the Big Block Chevy after the Mystery Mark II was developed (or neutered, some may say) into the common Mark IV BBC's in mid-1965 (actually an inferior motor when compared to the original Mark II design!). Even in Smokey Yunick's 3-Volume Biography (that I HIGHLY recommend!), Smokey himself credits Dick as one of the most talented Engineers to ever come out of Detroit. Now coming from Smokey, that's some high praise! There's also another great book that was released in 1989 (unfortunately out of print currently) called "Fast Chevys" by Alex Gabbard that has a very interesting interview with Dick Keineth along with many other famous Chevrolet Drivers, Builders, and Engineers.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
Although the book FAST CHEVYS is out of print it is still available at amazon.com thru it's used book dealers.

Rick

oil4kids

Well Known Member
I have that Book , i will post the pages somewhere

yes many believe the mystery motor was a better engine then the mark IV

Check the detroit newspaper, I sent some info to the editor to write up a deserving piece about him

If anyone lives near Rochester Hills in michigan try to make it to the Funeral,

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Got this note from Rusty Symmes yesterday. He told me back in the spring he has plans for this engine. Can't wait to
see the final project. ;)

In memory of Dick Keinath

6810003.jpg

"The Mark 2"
Casting dates are 1962, bottom end is z11, top end is prototype for the rat, the heads are different than the mark 4,
no castings fit the mark 4, around 10 of these have survived.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dick or Rusty, Is that the engine from Smokey's. I was at his shop in '89 and took a picture of a "mystery" engine. Smokey was auctioning off all his stuff at the time. It's around here somewhere(35mm). For you youngsters 35mm was a camera for under $200 that you could take a picture and blow it up the size of a living room wall and still have detail. Megapixels my butt!

:crazy

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Ray,
Back in the spring Rusty told me it came from someplace in the west. But where it originated from and how it got to where Rusty got it I don't know.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
stupid question.............
so.......... in my dreams I'm walking through a junk yard and there is this row of BBC's............ how could you identify that engine from any other BBC ???

Dave

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
stupid question.............
so.......... in my dreams I'm walking through a junk yard and there is this row of BBC's............ how could you identify that engine from any other BBC ???

Dave

I could be way off base on this Dave but I believe they used a "W" bottom end with heads of the design eventually used on the BBC. So you should find a big block with a 348/409 water pump hanging on the front. Someone here must know the real story. Cecil? Mark?

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
you should find a big block with a 348/409 water pump hanging on the front

Maybe it's the angle of the picture but it doesn't look like a 409 pump to me......

Dave

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
On this engine there are 2 oil line fittings on the rt.side,but I dont know if this is Chevrolet,or engine builder:dunno

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dick or Rusty, Is that the engine from Smokey's. I was at his shop in '89 and took a picture of a "mystery" engine. Smokey was auctioning off all his stuff at the time. It's around here somewhere(35mm). For you youngsters 35mm was a camera for under $200 that you could take a picture and blow it up the size of a living room wall and still have detail. Megapixels my butt!

:crazy
Ray: I was at that auction that 1989 weekend also and also took 35 mm pictures. Just have to find them!!! I also recall that engine and thought it was out of the #3 car out back. Anyway I didn't buy the engine!
robert
ps I hope I find the pictures and you are walking through one scene:cheers