Started on the Bel Air

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
THANX for the offer Derry. It's greatly appreciated. As soon as I am able, I just might take you up on that.:deal

Attachments

• PictureKodak easy share photos 1009.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 1009.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PictureKodak easy share photos 1005.jpg
    PictureKodak easy share photos 1005.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 22

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
You may have to bite the bullet and go with an Inland Empire setup. Pricey but I have never heard of one breaking.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Dan - Looking real good, when are you driving her to Idaho, so I can see up close ???

Bill

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks everyone for the complements. Here are a couple shots of the engine compartment.

Engine Comp 1.jpgEngine Comp 2.jpg

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Very nice, Dan. I see you have a proportioning valve, so you must have front disc brakes. I thought about putting disc brakes on the front of my car, but I want to run the stock 6X14 steel 409 wheels, and I don't think there
is enough room for the caliper. So I will be looking for shoes that are more agressive than stock.
You did a very nice job. Your car is beautiful.

John Autry

Well Known Member
Looks GREAT Dan and I am glad you are letting Tyler help you. Several years ago I had a young neighbor (12 years old) help me on a 56 nomad I was doing. Yesterday he came by to show me his 55 nomad that he is working on. He is 40 now and stills loves working on cars. He said he appreciated me allowing him to help me all those years ago as his dad never would. I must say it kind of brought a tear to my eye. Keep us posted.

Attachments

• IMG_0098.JPG
    IMG_0098.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 19

droptop62ss

Well Known Member
Great story John ! I try to get my nephews involved, but like all kids they have way to many other activities they are into at this time .

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just wanted to give an update on the Bel Air. I had a exhaust valve to block clearance issue so I had to tear engine the down bore the relieve pocket in the block down down a bit deeper to achieve clearance. The car was down for a year. Got it back together in June and then took it on a trip on what we call here the 101 loop around the Olympic Peninsula. We called it the Olympic National Park Piss Run as there are several old park lodges along the route and we stopped to pee at everyone...Pat (409newby) stopped by just before I was finished and the only thing left to do was put the hood back on. A couple of my buddies and their wives accompanied us on the trip. We did the Oldtimers Rod Run and 50 mile poker run in Port Angels,WA. and rented a old beach cabin on the Strait Of Juan de Fuca that looks across at Vancouver Island and Victoria BC. I thought I would check my fuel mileage to see just what I could get. As it turns out I can get 18.5mpg without trying to hard and my average for the entire trip was 13.8mpg. 348 bore to 4.205 3.76 stroke 1147 heads cleande up Aubrey's pistons & cam solid .588 11.3cr 3X2 intake 3:23 9.3 Olds/Pontiac posi & Richmond 6-speed .76OD...:deal

noses.jpgModel T pub.jpgHurricane Ridge.jpg

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan, Glad you got everything worked out. Good people having a good time. With mountain scenery like that I would have a hard time keeping the car on the road.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dan:

Congrats on getting her back on the road. And quite a road trip it was :) :) :) !.
I expect the Belair performed flawlessly?

Double cheers!
TomK

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That is a nice little 418" combo you have there. That ROD makes it sweet with the 3.23's too I bet. I've ridden in a Chevelle with a Richmond 5 speed and that low 1st in those transmissions really doesn't need a lower geared rearend. The gentleman I bought my 409 block from has one of the Richmond 6 speeds for sale with the Long shifter for $2800.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Boy you really have some scenery up there!!!!! Kinda looks like Alaska!!!!:clap:clap

Noticed Derry's post here. Has anyone heard from Derry lately????