Started on the Bel Air

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Dan's Bel Air is amazing to see in person, the attention to detail I believe is second to none, I'am guessing his Buick will be just as nice. :bow:bow:bow Pat

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan, Glad you got everything worked out. Good people having a good time. With mountain scenery like that I would have a hard time keeping the car on the road.
Ronnie, You have to pay attention because its a long long way down...:eek

Dan:

Congrats on getting her back on the road. And quite a road trip it was :) :) :) !.
I expect the Belair performed flawlessly?

Double cheers!
TomK

Thank You Tom, The Bel Air did preform flawless and we had a great time.
That is a nice little 418" combo you have there. That ROD makes it sweet with the 3.23's too I bet. I've ridden in a Chevelle with a Richmond 5 speed and that low 1st in those transmissions really doesn't need a lower geared rearend. The gentleman I bought my 409 block from has one of the Richmond 6 speeds for sale with the Long shifter for $2800.

The 3:27 1st gear combined with the 3:23 rear posi works very well. I was lucky when I found my ROD. My engine makes 485 fpt and the ROR is good for 450fpt. I found it on craigslist from a guy that had it behind a 496 BBC with a 40 lb flywheel in a 69' Chevelle. He had about 500 miles on it and put some slicks on took it to the track and broke it. He said you had to buy as is and would not open the trany. I had done some research so I new the main shaft had a step at 4th gear and was were they break. He told me it broke when he shifted from 3rd to 4th. When I opened it up sure enough the main shaft was broke at 4th gear and most of the teeth on 4th gear and 4th gear cluster were stripped. The rest of the trany looked brand new. I replaced the broken parts myself put it back together and am in the whole deal for 1650. and that included the Long shifter, Centerfource duel disc 11" clutch, throwout bearing & a new pilot bearing....:deal

That sounds like a great time. That ford hot rod in the middle looks Killer!

Jason, That is a killer little 32' Ford Tudor 327 powerglide 8". But don't let that 39' Plymouth pickup fool you. It has a 4-banger turbo charged Cummins diesel and a 5-speed. It makes 185 hp 500fpt and can keep up with the Bel Air.

Boy you really have some scenery up there!!!!! Kinda looks like Alaska!!!!:clap:clap

Phil, No it doesn't...:think It looks like Washington...

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Dan,
That is an extremely sharp looking car.
I love it more each time i see it.
makes me want to get the old pickup truck finished and get my 61 into the shed

Steve

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Dan:

She did turn out just great! Thanks for the updated pictures. With all your ongoing projects, how do you find time to drive them?

Cheers!
TomK

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dan,
Just my opinion but I think the car has the perfect stance for an X-frame car! :clap I may have missed it in the thread, can you share with us what you did with the suspension front and back. :pop

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,
Just my opinion but I think the car has the perfect stance for an X-frame car! :clap I may have missed it in the thread, can you share with us what you did with the suspension front and back. :pop
I used a set of dropped spindles from Mike (1958 delivery) then bought new Moog springs for 348 409 6004 & 6033 then cut 1/2 coil off of each end and that is it.

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Did you trim the front 6004 springs or just the rear 6033's?

I'm on track then, I have 2" dropped spindles and the 6004's for the front, hopefully get to the rear this year. Thanks

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Nice 61; is that the frame pictures you sent me?? I want to get my hands on a 61 to tinker on next; I have a 348 ready to build. Color is fantastic....what is it??

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did you trim the front 6004 springs or just the rear 6033's?

I'm on track then, I have 2" dropped spindles and the 6004's for the front, hopefully get to the rear this year. Thanks
I took a 1/2 coil off both ends of all 4-springs front and back for an even drop on all four corners.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice 61; is that the frame pictures you sent me?? I want to get my hands on a 61 to tinker on next; I have a 348 ready to build. Color is fantastic....what is it??
Yes that is the chassis. Color is Original to the car Fawn Beige with Almond Beige top. I am the 2nd caretaker...:brow