Body Mounts

Steven Morgan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am changing or trying to change my body mounts on a 62 Impala. I found 2 near the back bumper, 2 just behind the rear fender well, 2 near the rear spring pockets and 2 on the firewall. All the bolts are out and I have tried jacking the body up to the point where the front wheel is starting to come off the ground but the body doesn't seem to want to separate from the frame. What am I missing?

Steven Morgan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The body hasn't move enough to effect the brakes and I have a u-joint near the firewall that I believe will give a little wiggle room. I took the mounts out at the back at the bumper, the mounts just behind the rear fender well I had to drive them out and leave the wood driver in place of the rubber mount, but is very tight like something is still bolted.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
There are 8 body mounts. If you have those out...the body should come up. I'm assuming the front clip is off. The radiator does not have any body mounts. It bolts directly to the front frame horns. Bushings under the radiator support started in 1965.
Convertibles had 12 body mounts.

Last edited:

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I am changing or trying to change my body mounts on a 62 Impala. I found 2 near the back bumper, 2 just behind the rear fender well, 2 near the rear spring pockets and 2 on the firewall. All the bolts are out and I have tried jacking the body up to the point where the front wheel is starting to come off the ground but the body doesn't seem to want to separate from the frame. What am I missing?
you should have bolts at AA CC DD and EE plus the radiator support not BB though conv only

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You may have better luck jacking the car up with a floor jack in the back under the rear end pumpkin then placing some jack stands under the rockers just in front of the rear wheel well then slowly drop the frame down using the weight of the frame to separate. Then replace the 6-body mounts in the back. Repeat the same process in the front jacking at the front cross member placing the jack stands at the front of the rockers and replace the remaining 2-body mounts. Good Luck

Bel Air Frame Off-1.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You may have better luck jacking the car up with a floor jack in the back under the rear end pumpkin then placing some jack stands under the rockers just in front of the rear wheel well then slowly drop the frame down using the weight of the frame to separate. Then replace the 6-body mounts in the back. Repeat the same process in the front jacking at the front cross member placing the jack stands at the front of the rockers and replace the remaining 2-body mounts. Good Luck

View attachment 25765

Hey Dan, Nice car and I really like your garage. Very clean!(or is that your kitchen with a garage door entry to it?:laugh)

Steven Morgan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank guys I appreciate your help. I think the jack stands will work. Tri Power, I like that car. Ever since I watched Brian's build I have really been hooked on the 61 body style. I hope the weather is good in Brian's area so we can get some more test results & pictures.

Steven Morgan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil I do not have the front clip off but I have taken out the bolts on the radiator support. I would think there is enough give to replace the mounts, I only need about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Steven Morgan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I may have to block up the front clip when letting down the frame, I don't want to get the fenders into the door.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank guys I appreciate your help. I think the jack stands will work. Tri Power, I like that car. Ever since I watched Brian's build I have really been hooked on the 61 body style. I hope the weather is good in Brian's area so we can get some more test results & pictures.
Thanks and good luck with your body mounts.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Copy and paste into a word document is better, in case the link disappears at some point. You can save the link there too, and any pics.

Don

Steven Morgan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Body mounts are in, no problems the jack stands on the body and letting down the frame worked great. Took about 2 hours and with the front clip on! Thanks for all your help everyone.