Ancestry.com

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Just wondering, has anyone ever sent in a DNA sample to Ancestry.com in an attempt to learn your lineage?? I did, and speaking just for myself, what a waste of $90.00. My results came back today and they have me coming from countries I can't even pronounce. I have documented proof of where my family came from, and their model barely touched these area's. What a bunch of crap. My advice, save your money or buy car parts, Carmine.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I suspected as much. DNA linked to countries seems a stretch. We are all indigenous to earth. We are a mix of everything. Well, except me of course. LOL.

One other site to avoid is classmates.com - once on the list you never get off.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yeah, I was disappointed with Ancestry.com. They listed me as 69% western European and grouped me into 9 different countries, one of which is France. Nothing wrong with being French, but I have absolutely no French blood. Period. I'm 20% "other". Hmmm.........................What is other?? Maybe I'm an Egyptian Arab??? Or perhaps Ethiopian. Then 11% English which is about right. The way they advertise and promote this service, you (I) would think they would be more definitive. As previously stated, save your money, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Hi everyone. Just wondering, has anyone ever sent in a DNA sample to Ancestry.com in an attempt to learn your lineage?? I did, and speaking just for myself, what a waste of $90.00. My results came back today and they have me coming from countries I can't even pronounce. I have documented proof of where my family came from, and their model barely touched these area's. What a bunch of crap. My advice, save your money or buy car parts, Carmine.
Just what kind of a sample did you send Carmine??? That might be the problem!!!:roll

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
This might sound a bit blunt, but once you start breaking down your last 4 generations, you can do the percentages.
you are 50% of your mother and father, 25% of their parents, 12.5% of your parents parents, and 6.25% of their parents.

Although it is good to be related to and be seen as a particular group etc, but at the end of the day we all could be anything. The only people that can really know their real heritage are the royal families and most of them are inbred.
I think these ancestry sites are a bit of a scam, the best you can do is be yourself and look after your immediate family, your parents, yourself and your kids.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Oh by the way, I thought I was out of Africa, but the Ruski's have found much older Homo sapiens out in the caucus Mountains. I always wondered why I was considered a Caucasian :crazy.