Any tricks to removing an ignition lock cylinder w/ no key?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
This is so I can sell them easier. Tossing them out would be terrible business practice. :D (I know what you're saying though...) ;)
I wouldn't think it would be cost effective to even try to sell a lock cylinder without a key on the internet Bob. All the fees and shipping time and PayPal, USPS, and all your favorite RANTS!!!!

bobs409

Administrator
I wouldn't think it would be cost effective to even try to sell a lock cylinder without a key on the internet Bob. All the fees and shipping time and PayPal, USPS, and all your favorite RANTS!!!!

I'm not selling the lock cylinder, I'm selling the switch after I drill the cylinder out. Waste not, want not. :D

wristpin

Well Known Member
To fix your key issues first go get earth worms. Then buy a fishing rod and reel. Next visit a boat dealership. Buy a boat. Provision your cooler with snacks and drinks. After hooking your new boat up to your old truck take the new boat out to a peaceful spot on a nice quiet lake. Bait your hook. Throw the baited hook into the water. Sit down and grab a drink and all the key switches.Throw all the key switches into the lake. Take a drink and reflect on how much easier it is to fix the key switches on the lake. Have a sandwich.

bobs409

Administrator
To fix your key issues first go get earth worms. Then buy a fishing rod and reel. Next visit a boat dealership. Buy a boat. Provision your cooler with snacks and drinks. After hooking your new boat up to your old truck take the new boat out to a peaceful spot on a nice quiet lake. Bait your hook. Throw the baited hook into the water. Sit down and grab a drink and all the key switches.Throw all the key switches into the lake. Take a drink and reflect on how much easier it is to fix the key switches on the lake. Have a sandwich.

Having a sandwich right now but not on a lake. :D

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Never. Did it turn with old key and tumbler??? Did you check before inserting tumbler in switch to see if it unloaded and loaded the bar with the key in tumbler. Now that you can't turn it , to remove it it needs to turn to left and insert a paper clip in the little hole but since you can't , may have to drill it out to remove it ???

Junky

Well Known Member
I replaced the ignition cylinder on my 62 and it won't turn. Anyone come across this problem?

Jiggle the key in the cylinder as you try to turn it to the left. If you get it to move, then insert a paper clip into the cylinder, to remove it. Once it is out, check the key number on the side, and have a new key cut by the number at a locksmith. Most times, it is the key, not the cylinder that is the problem. If after you get the new key, and try it in the lock, and it still doesn't work, you will have to have the "tumblers" replaced, since they are also worn. Destruction of a cylinder should always be a last resort, unless you don't care.

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks, will try that, I bought the cylinder as part of a complete lock set for the doors, trunk, and other locks in the car. The key works fine on all other locks except the ignition. Im thinking maybe something with the tumblers? The cylinder turns counter-clock-wise fine, it just sticks in the start position and has to be returned to the running position manually.