shop lifts

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm wanting to buy a good 2 post floor lift and see all kinds on the market and all kinds of reviews saying they good, bad, and indifferent...I'm wanting to buy one that will work for years and one that has instructions that are accurate...most of the reviews say piss poor instructions are the biggest issue followed my piss poor customer service...I don't wanna fight the assembly but buy one that in straight forward to assemble...any suggestions on what brand to buy would be appreciated...

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have had a bend pak 2 post in my repair facility for 18 years. It lifts crew cabs, diesels, etc... with no issues. When it is time to replace it, I will buy another one. It is that good! I do not abuse my equipment, but it gets used to its limit. In all the years I have had the hoist, I replaced two sets of equalizer cables, and the pullies for them. That is the total service it has required.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have installed my own two post hoists, and 4 post lifts. A fork lift or skidsteer makes it easier, but Have also done them by hand. Not real difficult. Hardest thing is drilling the holes, and leveling the posts. Just takes some time, not too hard.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
If you’re using a two post system make sure you get the orientation correct. I never fully understand assmetrical vs symmetrical orientation and bought years ago a long ramp 4 post as felt better about them. Due to no forklift on site for the long ramps I had the company install it. The company was adamant that my garage floor would have to be hammered up and reinstalled deeper IF using a two post lift
Robert

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
my shop has 24' ceilings and 6" slab so I'm not concerned about that but I'm reading about the nightmares others have has buying lifts that won't go up correctly and instructions that don't match the lifts...I don't want cheap but I don't wanna break the bank...bendpak has a few double post lifts along with the standard 4 post lifts and they vary price wise all over the place...they are all made in china so quality is sure to suffer...guess I'll do my due dilligence and do some comparitive shopping...

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
When I was researching lifts, 2 post vs. 4 post, I was told that almost all lifts are made in China. All except Mohawk which is American made and very expensive. You'll find these in many commercial shops. Some vendors get cute and say manufactured in the USA and I questioned one on this. What they meant was, their lifts were assembled in the USA with parts imported from who knows where. Most vendors buy from one Chinese manufacturer and they put their own brand name on it. I bought mine from Greg Smith Equipment. They have a website. Mine is a 9000 lb. 2 post lift. I had my 2 son-in-laws install it in about 6 hours. Seemed simple enough for them. No issues I recall. Had mine about 6 years now with no problems. I either use it alot or it sits idle for a long period of time. Unless you're going to buy a Mohawk brand lift, I'm not sure how you're going to avoid one made in China. Doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing. Try to make sure that it is certified. Mine isn't and I didn't know about this when I made my purchase. The prices are all over the charts. This is no time to be frugal. You have to get under it. If you go with a 2 post lift, I would strongly suggest buying 2 tall jack stands at the same time. Some may say I'm overly cautious or even paranoid, but never forget, a lift is a mechanical device. Hydraulic hoses. Cable. Pumps. Electric. All can be subject to failure. When I have a car on the lift, one stand under the rear and the other under the a-frame. Gives me peace of mind. Best wishes with your selection, Carmine.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I carefully read the certificate that came with my lift and at that time wasn’t sure what engineering they were certifying. I’ll betcha the certificates have been rewritten several times since then. When I get home I’ll scan it for everyone’s reading. I guess probably best to do references checks and the integrity of the install as the company that did my sales and install were trying to convince me that warranty items weren’t 100% depending on the install.
I firmly believe that these parts are manufactured under one roof somewhere then painted and decaled then wrapped for the container ship. Sort of like only a very few facilities actually make auto batteries or washing machines then decal for the manufacturer.
Robert

Last edited:

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
From everything I recall reading, the floor for a 2 post lift, should be 6" of reinforced 3000 lb psi concrete. I had my floor put in new so for a few dollars more, I went with a 4000 lb psi mix, Carmine.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sounds about right Carmine. When I had my shop built, I knew where the hoists would be so in those areas the concrete is 8-10 inches thick for extra insurance.
What I heard some folks do if they already have an existing concrete floor and know where the post will go, they square off a 2'x2' hole, break through the existing concrete digging to a depth of 36"-42", use re-bar for reinforcement then pour the required psi cement. I think that would work just fine. With a 4 post lift, the recommendation is just 4" of reinforced 3000 lb psi concrete. I pay pretty close attention to what is recommended for the floor. I, you, have to get under this lift, that's why I also like the tall jack stands. My two are rated at 2000 lbs each. My GTO is the heaviest at about 3600 lbs. Never any problem putting it up. I've also had my F-150 Ford truck and my present Dodge Ram 1500, on the lift. I think they weigh about 5200 lbs or so. The lift has never struggled and seems just as strong with the trucks on it as with the cars. The trucks do come down faster thought lol.

I understand what you are saying James. It just so happens I built new which included the floor. So, I had the chance to do it that way. With an existing floor using a 2 post, I would do what I outlined above. BTW, what is the drill test?? Thanks, Carmine.

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have a 12,000 lb asymmetrical Rotary 2-post lift in my shop. Because the lifting posts are angled slightly, an asymmetrical lift gives you greater room to open a vehicle's doors than the other style . Other than that, the asymmetrical and non-asymmetrical lifts are the same.

The above comments are right on:
1) make certain that your concrete floor is deep enough and strong enough per the manufacturer's specs for the lift. There are lots of photos out there showing 2-post lifts that have collapsed, with catastrophic results.
2) get a name brand lift of a professional quality. Check out what the commercial shops in your area are using: BendPak, Rotary, etc.
3) I had mine installed by the Rotary distributor. It cost me $600. and they certified the installation.
4) If you are new to a 2-post, make certain that the car is positioned correctly on the lift front to rear for it's wheelbase. Also raise it to where the tires are just off the ground and shake the front/rear before you lift it all the way up to make certain that it doesn't bounce around. Better to come off the lift at 2" in the air than 6'.
5) On a 2-post lift, be VERY careful if you are removing weight from one end or the other of the car (e.g., engine, rear axle, gas tank, etc) when it is up in the air. ALWAYS use the tall (5-6') jack stands to support the car when doing this kind of work as the sudden weight shift can cause the car to come off the lift.
5) periodically check the floor for cracks around the lift. If it is starting to crack, then you probably don't have a strong enough mounting point for a 2-post lift and need to fix the floor.

Other thoughts on 2- vs 4-post lifts (my personal opinions only):
a) A 2-post lift is great for working on suspension systems, brakes, tires & wheels, lifting/placing a body on a frame, or removing/installing an engine cradle/subframe.
b) A 4-post lift is better (my opinion) for doing routine maintenance, such as oil changes, dropping transmissions/clutch replacements, driveshaft/u-joint replacements, setting ride height or drive shaft angles, etc. The reason I like the 4-post for these things is that the vehicle doesn't (shouldn't) move around when I am doing this kind of work under the vehicle; and the suspension is fully loaded when I am checking angles & ride height related issues.

A couple of other thoughts for consideration:
A) Don't get a "hobby" lift or those that are advertised primarily for double parking - they are not made as well as the commercial lifts and will not hold up well. Remember - it's your life you are risking - don't go cheap!
B) My shop is laid out and wired to have both a 2-post and a 4-post installed side by side for the reasons noted above. I only had the money to purchase one lift initially and that was a 2-post because it offered me the options to lift bodies for my street rod builds. The 4-post is a future purchase.
C) Spend some time looking at where to put a lift in your shop/garage. You don't want to block access to other areas/equipment and you also need to allow room around the lift.
D) Look at your lift needs. You don't need to buy a 12,000 lb capacity lift if you are only working on 5,000 lb vehicles. A 9,000 lb good quality lift will power up and down fine if you have the correct drive unit on it.
E) Get a 240V unit. The 110-115V lifts are really slow and struggle to lift a vehicle.
F) Look at the maximum lift height. I am 6'3" and needed a lift that would allow me to stand under the vehicle without being bent over. That means a pretty tall ceiling for me, but you can get other lower lifts that may meet your requirements. Make certain that you can stand up under the vehicle without crouching over. It will wear you out real quick if you can't stand up under the car. BTW, the lift doesn't need to lift the vehicle to 75" for me because the lifting height is to the bottom of the wheels/tires and there is 4-6" from there to the bottom of the engine/trans/etc.
G) make certain that the lift has a good, heavy duty interlock system. If the hydraulic system fails, this will keep the car from coming down. It is also a good idea to raise the vehicle to the desired working height and then lower it down to the closest interlocks so that they are supporting the weight rather than the hydraulic system.

These are just my opinions, and as usual, there are lots of other views out there. I really enjoy my lift and it has made working on my vehicles so much easier than crawling around on the floor or under a jacked up car.
Good luck.
John

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I bought a Back Yard Buddy 4 post they're made in Warren Ohio about 20 minutes from the house. I would have liked to have a 2 post but being this company was so close to the house plus I liked the idea if you put wheels on it you could move it where ever you wanted was the main reasons I bought it.

Mark

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I spoke to the local bendpak installer, he's a 5 star installer and is motivated to do the deal...my cash price for the HD 4 post lift installed is $4140 out the door...after taking measurements it seems the 4 poster is more to my liking and the price is excellent...the posts on the 2 post lift will be in the way of 2 parking bays whereas the 4 post lift will sit perfectly out of the way...after reading about how a 2 post lift can dump it's load when weight is shifted concerns me...I live way out in the sticks, the last thing I need to do is spend a few days pinned to the floor...:wtf