Have problem

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Early this morning I needed to drive to check on a properly.
But we a very heavy rainfall and some streets were floodEd.
Being it was somewhat dark I hit water with my 2019 GMC Sierra driving to fast.the water wasn’t more then foot high, but with the speed
The water splashed up into the air filter and the the engine stalled.
the truck wasn’t standing in any water as I rolled pass the standing water
BUT
the air filter was Soaking wet With all the water the engine stopped.
I have got it started, BUT it is running ruff., with no air filter.

hydro lock or just wet electronics.

Dave

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If its running, let the heat build up under the hood to see if everything will dry out. If you got that much water up there to soak the air filter element your coil packs are probably wet also.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I’m home and had the truck towed to my place as the dealership was closed that early this morning.
waiting to have the truck towed to the dealership now.
Just to many electronica sensors on today vehicles.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That sounds like your best option, I agree that newer vehicles have have an enormous amount of electronics on them. I would also check with your insurance company if it gets expensive as that may be covered.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well it’s not nice.
Dealer said I put one of the connecting rods through the pan.
SO, I just filed a claim to my insurance company, so it’s up to the insurance company as to they except my claim.
sure hope they figure something one way or the other.
Needed an rental as I was planning on going out of town this weekend, but $500 for 8 days for the rental is a little steep.
Good thing my 62 is running great and if the weather changes back to the good, I’ll get rid of the rental.
so, it’s a rebuilt , new engine or they total my truck and I buy something new.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Although I know next to nothing about newer vehicles, I have heard of this before.

Don called it. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Hope it all works out well for you.

For a rental, try Enterprise. They treat us great here in VA. About $200 a week for a full size car. But we use our own Insurance which covers it anytime we need to rent one.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well it’s not nice.
Dealer said I put one of the connecting rods through the pan.
SO, I just filed a claim to my insurance company, so it’s up to the insurance company as to they except my claim.
sure hope they figure something one way or the other.
Needed an rental as I was planning on going out of town this weekend, but $500 for 8 days for the rental is a little steep.
Good thing my 62 is running great and if the weather changes back to the good, I’ll get rid of the rental.
so, it’s a rebuilt , new engine or they total my truck and I buy something new.
Be sure you get pictures of the damage to the engine, never take any shop/dealer at their word no matter how much you trust them because different insurance companies look for and decide different things for the same damage so photographic proof is worth more than a shopping list to fix it created by someone. A claim like this can do several things you may not have considered. (my dad was an insurance adjuster) Keep in mind that should you want to keep this truck that it will now have flood damage notice on any search of the title (car fax). At least it would here in Iowa. Might make more sense to total it depending on its general value. Also the damage seen may not have anything to do with the water and may have just been perfect timing to make you think that is what caused the engine damage. An adjuster would do some investigating and make that determination. Then you wouldn't have "flood damage" on the title. Just things to think about.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wow that thing had to take a big drink of water, sure am sorry for your mishap but hopefully your insurance will cover it. Its not like you intentionally drove into the water as you stated it was dark, I would think there is a fair chance it would be covered.:dunno

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Filed the claim and looked into my records.
Have been with my insurance company since 1969.
Have filed one claim dur that time (my youngest son had a accident Involving three cars, when he was 16).
His fault the police said, of course. Otherwise I’ve never had a claim even with Michigan’s NO FAULT system.
Plus I’m still under GMC warranty with all and I mean all work has been done by the dealer.
We will seein a few days, I guess.

Last edited:

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just received my answer about my insurance claim.
Received a OK, all I need to do is drop off my deductible fee ($100) portion.
New short block & intake with all the parts and labor it totals $10,000.
Going to talk to the dealer also as to what the time frame will be. I don’t want to have to pay for the rental vehicle For very long.
Had a friend that waited for months to have a dealer finish his engine rebuild.
if that’s the case, I’m going to see what the dealer has to offer on a trade in.
My 2019 GMC Sierra Denali only has 14,000 miles on it, so the dealer can do the rebuild and have a very good truck for it’s used car lot.
again we will see.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
My dad had a 64 chevy four door hardtop that was about a year old and we got rear ended one sunday morning. Buckled quarters. Got insurance check ,gave check to dealer and traded for a 1965 impala ,anothet four door hardtop. Traded for $600.00 difference, great deal. He told dealer if he would trade for 600.00 every year he would trade, but my dad did not , he kept it several years.

Last edited: