WELL..............

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Phil will not be accepted by Corvette people with a non numbers matching jack, he’ll get shot if he shows up with those wheels. They think it better to have a non functional “correct” jack than a functional non correct jack.
:lmao:laugh2 Now thats funny but true. I hate to say it being a Corvette owner but most Corvette owners today are PINHEADS.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
No problem Mike!!!! Joined their club and got 20% off!!! Going to call them and see how wide the white is.
Mike....it's taken me 82 years to get this car....I'm a 110 now. Do not want to make concessions now on a couple of things....tires being one of them!!! I certainly appreciate and respect your concern. One of those is the tire air pressure. The Simple tire is 44PSI while the Coker is 36. The Corvette is very rough riding and the 44 may make it tougher. Don't know.
Tomorrow is the day!!!!!! Got insurance documents today, have an appointment for an inspection and then a 45 minute ride to the MO DEPT OF REVENUE for title and license plates!!!! Then I will know better what I have!!!!!!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well sorry but it can't be 5 and it can't be 7 , have to disagree with you. So the middle is recommended desired width by the manufacturer ,after all they know better than you what is best.

Maybe RANGE is beyond your level of comprehension? ALL tire manufactuers post an acceptable wheel width RANGE, Coker uses 5.5"to 7.5" for their tire in question, other manufactuers say 5 to 7"
https://www.cokertire.com/tires/p205-75r15-american-classic-1-whitewall-tire.html

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would prefer six. It will balloon out sidewall better and look better than sidewalks squeezed in. Not my car so don't matter.

Anything between 5 and 7 is acceptable. I'll agree 6" would be fine, so is 5". 7" starts to spread the bead a little too far out. I've done quite a few of these with this size tire. Not my car but it does belong to a friend so it does matter to me:D

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
WOW.......what a day!!!!! Perfect weather and driving along with tree shade on the highway was amazing!!!! All legal now!!
Got the inspection at the local Chevy dealer, stopped at QuickTrip where they have 91 octane without ethanol, and headed for the license bureau. Local sales tax was a bitch!!!! Hate that!!!!
Checked my spare tire well and it is 29"!!!! That means I can find the next size bigger tire!!!! 205/75R15 is about 28.4" wide. Back for looking for tires. Got the 4 addition rims some Summit today!!!
Everything worked today on the inspection ......headlights, taillights, horn and turn signals!!!! Turns out that the radio is a new model with AM/FM and is blue tooth. What's that?????
Radiator is working well as temp never got over 150.
I'm happy!!!!! Got somethings I want to do so I will have some winter projects!!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
WOW.......what a day!!!!! Perfect weather and driving along with tree shade on the highway was amazing!!!! All legal now!!
Got the inspection at the local Chevy dealer, stopped at QuickTrip where they have 91 octane without ethanol, and headed for the license bureau. Local sales tax was a bitch!!!! Hate that!!!!
Checked my spare tire well and it is 29"!!!! That means I can find the next size bigger tire!!!! 205/75R15 is about 28.4" wide. Back for looking for tires. Got the 4 addition rims some Summit today!!!
Everything worked today on the inspection ......headlights, taillights, horn and turn signals!!!! Turns out that the radio is a new model with AM/FM and is blue tooth. What's that?????
I'm happy!!!!! Got somethings I want to do so I will have some winter projects!!
The tire in the trunk will not fit in the well far enough for the cover to lie flat. Even repro 6.70x 15 bias are thicker than original. Letting some air out will help but then you have a low spare.
BTW, are you familiar with Corvette Specialties Of Kansas City, by Jon Shafer?
Also Kelsey Tire in Camdenton. MO for tires. I have no experience with either but they are in your area.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe find a tire the diameter of your car tires but narrower to use as a spare? Still tall enough to use on the car but will fit in the spare tire well?

If going with a 75 tire, not sure if they make an 80, but maybe something in a bias if not available in a radial? Maybe a modern donut spare?:crazy

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Phil,
Some folks on the C1 forums have used a 5" wheel with either a 185 70 15 or 165 80 15 tire. Either will fit in the well with the wooden cover will fitting flat. Overall diameter is 25.2" and 25.4" respectively. The original size, 6.70 15 was not as thick as either the comparable radial size or bias. Bias 6.70 15 is 28.5 in diameter through Coker and I am not sure the well cover will lay flat with the repro 6.70 15. The above listed tires that will fit will not be usable on the back if you get a flat due to significant difference in diameter. As i indicated, you could pull a front tire off to replace the flat rear and use the smaller diameter spare on the front to get you home.

Junky

Well Known Member

Sounds like that car took 40 years off of you, and now you are a new kid with a new toy. I'm wondering if you will be sitting on Santa's lap and telling him about all those other toys that you want for Christmas ???

Junky

Well Known Member
I can't remember the last time that I had a flat tire, except for my tractor which the tires have age cracks and loose the air. Get a can of "Fix A Flat", and it will fit perfectly under the plywood. If you really want to carry a spare, get a space saver spare, and you will make it home on it. The only reason to buy a spare tire, is because should you damage a tire beyond repair, a spare tire will save you a lot of grief finding a replacement. Most tires that you buy today will be discontinued in a couple of years, and finding an exact match is next to impossible.