348 To 380 Dyno results

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Finally got the car back and I’m impressed! He put a 2200 stall converter, fixed pressures, widened the tunnel on the pass side so it wasn’t touching, put a new style bracket for the cable on the carb, fixed the soft shifts and it’s snappy. With 10” sticky tires on the back now it hooks up and takes flight! Drum brakes on the front aren’t enough to hold it still! I’ll change them and the suspension after winter hibernation. Changed the air filter to 2” so it doesn’t hit the hood,

Attachments

• 2420DDD0-8C4D-42C4-AE69-44FE85773B70.jpeg
    2420DDD0-8C4D-42C4-AE69-44FE85773B70.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 58F5694B-1FD2-47BC-8ACA-6E2F54327C8E.jpeg
    58F5694B-1FD2-47BC-8ACA-6E2F54327C8E.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 25
  • BBEF911C-523F-402A-8E46-829209A5FD65.jpeg
    BBEF911C-523F-402A-8E46-829209A5FD65.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 25

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Sure is come along way since you started, transmission bracket looks fantastic. How about a video?:dunno Before you put it to bed for the winner:brow

I certainly will Tooth! It was dark by the time I got home with it. It’s supposed to be nice on the weekend. A good burnout sounds fun! (If I can got those sticky tires to spin :dunno2)

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I can’t believe you haven’t done a burnout yet Tim. Put the old tires on the back and do a practice. :poke

All good things come to those that wait! Now that everything is dialed in and I have about 250 miles on the motor I can light it up! I need a line lock until I get non 60’s brakes on the front! I’ll come down and put 2 rows beside your one wheel peel you did the other day! Lol

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had no line lock, stock x frame rearend, just takes balls and no brains? Don told you not to load up the torque converter?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It loads up the converter killing the "flash".If your tune is right it should come on right from the hit at an idle.That engine package,especially the cam,is made for low end torque to either get the car moving or spin the tires NOW when the accelerator is mashed.Loading the converter also makes for heat build up in the trans.fluid,something that you can live without.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I have a big 4 core aluminum crossflow rad that has the cooler in it. I drove it hard yesterday and I couldn’t get the engine hot let alone the trans, even at idle it doesn’t heat up. Might be different on the hot summer.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Unless you have a temp gauge on the trans you don't know hw hot that trans fluid is getting.Hitting it from an idle will cause the converter to flash up to it's limits hitting the tires harder in this case .After a few hundred hits like this you'll find that the converter will loosen up quite a bit making the car leave even harder.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The distance is not important as long as they are close at heart :D
We are both happily married to very nice women, me for 45 years +. :D

We live about an hour apart and he has a 66 and I have a 63, superior to a 66, I have a 409, superior to a 348, I have a 4 speed, he has to deal with all these 2 pedal problems. :D
Other than that, I’d trade him my 409 for his 348. I’d keep the wife (haven’t met his yet so nothing personal), and the 63.

Its actually pretty cool that someone would put a 348 from a truck in a 66 SS, pretty good choice I’d say.