It's Summer so Overheating AGAIN !!!

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well after enjoying driving the BelAir around for the winter, with temps in the forties, now the temps are up and the car is overheating again !!! :doh Because the temps stayed fine during the winter, I decided that a bigger, more better, aluminum radiator was the cure. NOT !!!:mad: :cuss :bang

I spent the big $$$ for an aluminum two row 1.25" radiator from Griffin Radiators. I installed it at the beginning of last month and have been experimenting with various things since. Because the radiator shroud I have is not the 409 shroud, it didn't fit the new radiator well. It was about 3/4 to 1" away from the radiator in front and covered most of the fan blade, neither is good, as I understand things ? With the mechanical fan, the car ran cooler in open air and high speeds, but still overheated quickly in traffic or at a light. However, I was able to pull the temps down if I could get out and moving again.

I removed the mechanical fan and shroud and installed a 3K cfm electrical fan with shroud and set it to come on at 130*. It takes a little longer to get up temps in traffic but still climbs to 230* or higher. With the electric fan the temps do not come down at higher speeds, even at 65-70 the temps start climbing slowly until I get off the freeway ? If I cruise at 35-40 the temps will start to come down, but then I have to stop for a light or something and they climb again. :cuss

I have tried restricting the flow, opening the flow and flowing the flow at the thermostat housing. Restricting flow makes it warm up faster, but just keeps climbing even at highway speeds. Open flow (no thermostat) heats up slower but climbs faster in traffic and still won't cool down at highway speeds.

As some of you know this is not a new problem !!! Last summer we walked down the list of things to check. Fan clutch, fan blades, fan shroud, fuel mixtures, and on and on... I'm totally at a loss !!! :cuss :bang

It is my, obviously less than knowledgeable opinion, that I have something internally wrong with the motor that is restricting the flow of coolant or causing it to overheat. I have heard that the head gaskets should have been opened up at the water opening ? I didn't do that, but don't remember that they were small, but then I didn't know to look, at the time I installed them. The block was quite rusty on the outside when I got it as a completed short block. The soft plugs were installed so I don't know what the water passages looked like.

Sorry for such a long post, but I'm looking for knowledgeable assistance and wanted to provide background. If you have taken the time to read this and have some advice please provide some assistance. :hug

As much as I love the 409 and all the interest it draws at the shows, I also am frustrated by the fact that I can't enjoy driving the car. I have a perfectly good running 327 on an engine stand and it may replace the 409 if things don't improve soon ! :dunno

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Nuts,

Is it actually boiling over and pushing the coolant out of the system?

Or are you relying on the gauge readings. Are the gauge and sending unit accurate?

Tom

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The problem may be your engine, may be the radiator, gee you already knew that, right?
1.25 tubes run hotter than the 1" tubes. 2-1" tubes is the max colling for alum radiators. I was chewed out some months ago for this comment on here, but it's a fact.
But even with the 2-1.25 radiator your engine should not be running that hot.

Any possibility that you have Rhoads lifters?

My 400 hp 57 chevy (350cu in) will run as low as 160 F in 104 F temps sitting idling, for hours, if I run the fans full time. Large 2-1" rows cross flow radiator with dual 11" fans. When moving it will never go above 190 without fans ever turning on, this is in 90 F + temps.
My 58 348 will sit at idle all day long, 16" fan cycles on and off at whatever temp I set, I use the Spal electronic control unit for that on. This has a smaller down flow alum 2-1" tube radiator with single 16" fan. The Spal unit is neat in that it has a low and a high setting. I turn on the low at 170F and the high at 185F. The low spins the fan at 50% the high at 100% speed. When the high setting kicks on it takes about 2 minutes for the fan to pull the temp down to 160F. This is sitting at idle. Driving the car at most any speed the fan will never come on.

As much dislike that I have for Griffin radiators It sounds like you have some other problem with your engine.
But then again I just replaced a customers Be Cool, mega buck radiator on a 64 Galaxy, 427 FE that wouldn't run cool. My cross flow with dual 11" Spal fans took care of that one.
I'm starting to feel like that ignition dude so I'll shut up now.

Let me know if you have Rhoads lifters.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Calibration?

I was thinking the same thing, calibration. My SBC Corvette has an inaccurate water temp gauge, and I just ignore it :). It never boils over, just goes to 240* on its own once in a while... I can't recall if you've verified that or not when you were previously dealing with it last year.

Man, i sure hope you resolve this, as we'd all prefer that you stick with the 409! Your fan shroud setup might be an area to experiment with. I can lend you a dead stock fan shroud so you can see if that's the issue.

Good luck!

TomK

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bummer,,, We spent so much time on this last summer I thought you had it fixed,,,

Ever thought about moving to Iceland ? :D

There has to be something overlooked,,, but we covered most everything last year.:bang

Let us know if you have tested your temp unit and guage,,

jr.W

Well Known Member
The problem may be your engine, may be the radiator, gee you already knew that, right?
1.25 tubes run hotter than the 1" tubes. 2-1" tubes is the max colling for alum radiators. I was chewed out some months ago for this comment on here, but it's a fact.
But even with the 2-1.25 radiator your engine should not be running that hot.

Any possibility that you have Rhoads lifters?

My 400 hp 57 chevy (350cu in) will run as low as 160 F in 104 F temps sitting idling, for hours, if I run the fans full time. Large 2-1" rows cross flow radiator with dual 11" fans. When moving it will never go above 190 without fans ever turning on, this is in 90 F + temps.
My 58 348 will sit at idle all day long, 16" fan cycles on and off at whatever temp I set, I use the Spal electronic control unit for that on. This has a smaller down flow alum 2-1" tube radiator with single 16" fan. The Spal unit is neat in that it has a low and a high setting. I turn on the low at 170F and the high at 185F. The low spins the fan at 50% the high at 100% speed. When the high setting kicks on it takes about 2 minutes for the fan to pull the temp down to 160F. This is sitting at idle. Driving the car at most any speed the fan will never come on.

As much dislike that I have for Griffin radiators It sounds like you have some other problem with your engine.
But then again I just replaced a customers Be Cool, mega buck radiator on a 64 Galaxy, 427 FE that wouldn't run cool. My cross flow with dual 11" Spal fans took care of that one.
I'm starting to feel like that ignition dude so I'll shut up now.

Let me know if you have Rhoads lifters.

Just a question. Why did you ask about the rhoads lifters. Do they create heat
some how. I ask because I just broke in a cam in a new 327 this past week
and it has rhoads in it. Thanks

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sorry to hear the Nuts. Is the AC on when you overheating? I can't remember if you had AC.
A blocked water passage, air bubble in the block it's had to tell. Do you know anyone with a thermal gun? It would be one way to check and see what areas are hotter than the other. Maybe the builder used a wrong gasket in it :dunno
I have seen your ride and I know it's super clean so I would not beat yourself up on the work you have done but I would be at that engine builders door if where mine.
If you don't find a gun I'll ask my engine builder if I can borrow his. He usualy dosent lend tools so I cannot gaurentee anything.

61bubbletopx

over heat

well im at a loss too big bucks too spend too cool it down i read that fan shroud is a major player in cooling has too fit perfect also hose type do not use any universal ribbed hose bad for flow also try water wetter additive too the coolant cant think of any thing else you can do off hand.....good luck:dunno

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
overheating

Have seen lots of good advice here already, so there are not too many things left. Is your crank pulley the stock diameter? Not the smaller aftermarket type that underdrives the pump? Has the waterpump been disassembled to check the fit of the impeller, and to verify that it is not loose on the shaft? Fans and shrouds are important, but really have no bearing on the problem at higher speeds. Has the coolant been tested for hydrocarbons? Also, I know it was mentioned already, but if it's not puking coolant, it's not seriously overheating, and it may be time to check that guage. Good luck.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks to all

I have verified the temp with my infra-red gun, which I bought just for that purpose last summer. When the gauge reads 200 it's reading 200 at the thermostat housing also. It has never boiled over, but does push out coolant when I shut it off at temps above 220*. I never run it past 230*, I shut it down and let the electric fan cool things down.

It runs these temps with the A/C off, although running it doesn't make too much difference at highway speeds.

I have not had the water pump checked but it moves a lot of water across the top of the radiator when running. I'm using a billet pulley that is close to the size of the orriginal, maybe just a little larger.

I have scorpion rockers with a hydraulic cam and lifters. Although I'm not sure how that helps things ?

I'll be happy to address any others questions anyone has. Please feel free to guide me down the path to happiness...

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just a question. Why did you ask about the rhoads lifters. Do they create heat
some how. I ask because I just broke in a cam in a new 327 this past week
and it has rhoads in it. Thanks

The reason I ask about the Rhoads lifters is one time some years ago a dyno/engine builder/drag racer friend had a customer with a very high dollar 67 427 Corvette that was overheating. Every single thing was brand new on this 100% frame off restored 435 horse Vet, the temp would take some time but would climb and wouldn't stop, 220-230-240 etc. He had other shops replace radiator, fan, pump, until there was nothing left to do, yet the temp wouldn't stop climbing. He paid my friend to have the engine/cooling system etc totaly torn down and precisely measured during the teardown. The engine was precisely measured during teardown and as precisely re=assembled. Nothing was wrong in this engine. I'm not talking just taking it apart, every single thing was mic'd and inspected coming and going. My friend was stumped since he could not point at anything. The only thing that was a deviation from original was the orignal builder used Rhoads lifters to supposedly help the factory 435 horse solid lifter cam. He took a guess and replaced the lifters with factory type solids and the overheating was gone. Don't ask me why, I guess the cam timing was altered in some way to cause this because the car idled at normal temp as soon as this was changed.
I've never heard of anyone else with this situation but I saw it with my own eyes.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Nuts,try to overdrive your water pump,with a 6 inch pump pulleyfrom Show Cars part # 6477.It worked for me

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nuts,try to overdrive your water pump,with a 6 inch pump pulleyfrom Show Cars part # 6477.It worked for me

Isn't the factory size 6"?
Larger crank pully and/or smaller pump pully to overdrive the pump.
But even with the factory sized pump pully he should be turning enough R's and have enough airflow through the rad to keep the temp down.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Isn't the factory size 6"?
Larger crank pully and/or smaller pump pully to overdrive the pump.
But even with the factory sized pump pully he should be turning enough R's and have enough airflow through the rad to keep the temp down.

Factory size water pump pulley was 7 inch,I use a early 80's F!!d pulley on my 409.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
hot at idle

Mine would idle hot with the electric fan. i have since switch to a 7 blade clutch fan and have no low speed temp problems.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
by the way

If temp returns to normal at speed on the road but is hot at idle or low speed it would seem to be an air flow problem. Bigger, more blade fan, tighter to the radiator shroud etc........

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
hi,,,since you may have tried all the outside stuff, maybe you need to pop a freeze plug and have a look inside, i would also have a peek inside the water pump and check the impeller. i do not know which impeller you have but that stamper steel "imo" is junk. if you have the iron impeller check the veins wear and clearance to the body. check body for grooves and cavities.
mike