Transmission Alignment

albjerryg

Well Known Member
I have a 1960 Impala with a 4 speed tremec transmission and a 409 engine. I had to pull the transmission because the throw out bearing went bad. I have the plastic tool to align the clutch. (picture enclosed) My question is how to align the spline om the transmission, it could be a little off to fit straight in. I know it a dumb question but fir time I had to pull the transmission. Thanks for any help? Jerry

Attachments

• Tool (2).jpg
    Tool (2).jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm 53 and just swapped out my m20 for a m22 I just built and it kicked my ass so I feel your pain!!!!! I use a old input shaft instead of the flexy plastic tool. I have also loosened all the bellhousing bolts a tad to help with the wiggle to get it to align easier in the past and never ever use the transmission mounting bolts to draw the transmission in as that's the fastest way to snap an ear off

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
I’ve done this.
Find two long bolts the same size as the ones that are used to bolt transmission in place. Cut off the bolt heads. Screw these bolts in the top holes and use them as guides by putting the top transmission ear holes in them during installation. These bolts will hold transmission up in place/angle. After install, put in bottom transmission bolts to hold in place, remove top guide bolts and install top bolts. Tighten all.

Fuzz