Transmission Alignment

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I once had trouble getting a Saginaw 4 speed in my 66 Chevy pickup to go in all the way. Had my daughter come out and told her to push clutch petal down when I was ready under neath with engine off,of course. I pushed on tranny and told her to push it down and it immediately popped in.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
No the transmission the bell housing is screw in as it was when I removed the transmission
Ok confusing here.
The bolts with head cut off are screwed into bell housing ,as they should be to guide the tranny onto the bolts . Is that how you have it???

albjerryg

Well Known Member
No the bell housing was never removed when I pull the grant. I removed just tree trany and now I am putting back just the trany. I pu the top 2 bolts in the 2 hole on the top of trany. I can remove them if you want. Jerry

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
No the bell housing was never removed when I pull the grant. I removed just tree trany and now I am putting back just the trany. I pu the top 2 bolts in the 2 hole on the top of trany. I can remove them if you want. Jerry
The bolts that the heads are cut off are screwed into the top two bolt holes on the bell housing where the top two transmission ears are and bolts go. Put the bolts with cut off heads in the two upper holes on bell housing . There two on bottom two on upper .

Attachments

• MD-401-1200.jpg
    MD-401-1200.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I guessing bolt length would be anywhere from three to four inches long for the tranny install . I never used this method for tranny , guess I never had to resort to it but used it for those Chevy fuel pumps years ago works slick when tying up the push rod. I take a string and loop push rod and tie it tight to upper engine somewhere. After pump is located ,just remove string before cinching pump tight to block. Have to have threads exposed on one bolt to tighten with nut to snug pump then remove other bolt put in regular bolt snug it then remove other nut and bolt and put regular bolt in . Rotate engine to have push rod in highest position . For me it was very easy and a lot faster .

Last edited:
Reactions: 327

albjerryg

Well Known Member
Here are 2 picture of bolts top left and top right and throw out bearing. I did not cut the heads off because they were very long. I hope this helps.2449.jpg2448.jpg2450.jpg

albjerryg

Well Known Member
What I did today (6 hours under the car) is pull the transmission back and used the alignment tool to check and it was still aligned . I then moved it back in place and stabbed it and what you see in the picture is as far as it would go, about 3". Jerry

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Here are 2 picture of bolts top left and top right and throw out bearing. I did not cut the heads off because they were very long. I hope this helps.View attachment 122966View attachment 122967View attachment 122968
If you still have that still hanging like that just have your help push clutch petal down while you are pushing in trans if you are sure the splines on shaft are in the clutch splines .If not rotate shaft by turning tranny in gear from rear output shaft yoke side

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
If the gap between the transmission ears to bellhousing at the top and at the bottom are the same, and the splines are engaged…… there’s nothing more to do and push……Just be sure that the transmission input shaft is in line with the block squarely……. And there’s no chance you did any damage to your pilot bearing……?

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Yes I checked the gap and they were within a 1mm, the transmission itself is supported on a transmission jack.
Is the motor just hanging free………I don’t mean to sound obvious but if the motor is hanging low in the back the transmission Has to go in at the same extreme angle……. Maybe you don’t have the transmission jack at the same angle

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You don't need the tranny jack putting upward pressure . It's supported by the bolts. Support the motor so it don't have to much pressure hanging down and possibly letting distributor cap hitting firewall. Once you have motor supported you don't need tranny jack pushing upward in a bind. You should be able to push in easily when it all lines up. If you have upward pressure you are forcing it out of alignment.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
With motor supported and tranny hanging by bolts no pressure from jack upward clutch petal depressed you will have wiggle room to enter pilot bearing.