Transmission Alignment

Jerry B

Well Known Member
I just went through this about 10 months ago. Had not changed a trans in probably 5 - 10 years before that. Had to relearn a lot of things. I think if the trans stops 3" before the bellhousing you are bumping something before the input shaft even starts to go thru the clutch plate hub. The input shaft may be hitting the pressure plate diaphragm or finger. If you have the back of the engine angled down a little, don't let the distributer it hit the cowl, you might be able to take the trans weight off the jack and wiggle the back of the trans up, down, and side ways while pushing in. The pilot bearing part of the input shaft should slide through the clutch hub. The input shaft splines should then bump against the clutch hub. Then start slowly turning the output shaft while pushing the trans in. May have to wiggle the the back of the trans again. My trans jack has no way to adjust the angle that the trans sits of the jack. I actually put a wooden spacer under the front of the trans to angle it up a little. Since you already have the trans in I would try what I suggested first.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It might be the angle you took with camera but the clutch disc does not look like it's center to pilot bearing.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
After looking at it more, I think it's ok. We are looking through pressure plate fingers to see the clutch plate. A bit deceiving.