409 piston manufacturers

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Who else is out there other than guys like Diamond, ROSS and Keith Black ? 2 sets from Diamond and still not right !! I'm ready to lose my mind !!

To be really right, you need custom made pistons for your engine. Off-the-shelf will never be wonderful.
Custom pistons require a whole suitcase of information, to get them right. But when they're right... you go fast:deal
I always need to know exact bore, exact stroke, rod length, deck height, desired piston to deck ( +.004" - +.006" being optimum, when using pouplar head gaskets ), intended use, which dicates the best ring package, and of course, ALWAYS... the almighty weight removal.

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Can I ask what was wrong with the Diamond?????

CD height wrong ( TWICE ) was supposed to be .010 in the hole and was .034 the first time and the second time was worse ( didn't bother to put one in to check, knew right away it was wrong...WAY wrong ). Done with Diamond

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
To be really right, you need custom made pistons for your engine. Off-the-shelf will never be wonderful.
Custom pistons require a whole suitcase of information, to get them right. But when they're right... you go fast:deal
I always need to know exact bore, exact stroke, rod length, deck height, desired piston to deck ( +.004" - +.006" being optimum, when using pouplar head gaskets ), intended use, which dicates the best ring package, and of course, ALWAYS... the almighty weight removal.

We told them all that Aubrey, Had Callies check the crank and it was right on, rods was right on. The only thing I done wrong was shove them in the block and not check the first one that I put in.

Ryan Burman

Well Known Member
Egge machine? They make pistons for everything. They also work with a lot of one off stuff. always heard great things. I would think Lamar Walden would be where it's at though.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I wouldn't buy lawn mower pistons from lamar after what brian dealt with on his high end heads and intake that lamar admitted there was a problem with the seats but wouldn't fix them.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Kevin, I've always had good luck with Diamond. Did you give them the cd? Ross and KB have some shelf pistons that will work fine. Not sure if Egge makes forged.

Bob

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I got a forged set from Ross years back that were all over the place, and I immediately thought rods or crank. Pulled it all apart and measured everything. Rods and crank were correct so it had to be the pistons. It was.

Eventually I took the desired measurements and had all eight fly cut to fit properly. Cost me like $50. They were all out of the hole too far (better than the other way around!).

I was still mocking it all up so it hadn't been balanced as yet. And the labor was free (and worth every penny :)).

Good luck!
TomK

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Kevin, I've always had good luck with Diamond. Did you give them the cd? Ross and KB have some shelf pistons that will work fine. Not sure if Egge makes forged.

Bob

We gave them a ton of info Bob, double checked everything before we faxed the build sheet to them and then triple checked everything when the first set was wrong. My engine shop has used Diamonds for a while now and they have never run into anything like this before with them and I was looking forward to having them in this motor but something is going very wrong there ( at least with my stuff ).

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think you might have had a bad experience. Tony Shaffer uses Diamond Racing pistons for all his builds. Very high quality and seem to work really well

Kevin, it sounds like you are fortunate enough to have a nice original deck block... excellent... try to keep it that way.
With that in mind, simply request a pin height that will postion the piston about .004" - .006" above the deck, at TDC.

Without a doubt though, there have been troubles with custom made pistons, due mostly to block decks with unknown history. As Tom K pointed out... if the pistons are a few thou too "proud", it's really nothing at all to get the surface milled a touch, and make them perfect for your block.

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Kevin, it sounds like you are fortunate enough to have a nice original deck block... excellent... try to keep it that way.
With that in mind, simply request a pin height that will postion the piston about .004" - .006" above the deck, at TDC.

Without a doubt though, there have been troubles with custom made pistons, due mostly to block decks with unknown history. As Tom K pointed out... if the pistons are a few thou too "proud", it's really nothing at all to get the surface milled a touch, and make them perfect for your block.

The shop is going to call Diamond tomorrow Aubrey and depending on what they say and are willing to do about this you will be getting the next phone call from Level performance to order pistons and manifold. Standard deck height with .027" cometic gasket, will give you all the info with the call ! Out of curiosity what is your turn around on some pistons ?

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
We gave them a ton of info Bob, double checked everything before we faxed the build sheet to them and then triple checked everything when the first set was wrong. My engine shop has used Diamonds for a while now and they have never run into anything like this before with them and I was looking forward to having them in this motor but something is going very wrong there ( at least with my stuff ).
What stroke and what rods? What number did you give them for CD? I can see if I have info from some I have in stock. Did they ever make them right? They should take them back without question. They are almoast all CNC so at least they'd all be the same.

Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The shop is going to call Diamond tomorrow Aubrey and depending on what they say and are willing to do about this you will be getting the next phone call from Level performance to order pistons and manifold. Standard deck height with .027" cometic gasket, will give you all the info with the call ! Out of curiosity what is your turn around on some pistons ?
Kevin, Remember std deck ht is 9.600. It's rare to see a block that really is. It's tough to measure. If they make them as if it's 9.600. put them in all 4 corners and deck the block to get your quench.

Bob