May have found my winter 4 X 4

bobs409

Administrator
I'm going banana's trying to find something I like. Not much in the 33-10.5 but other options could be 32's I suppose. (not too much difference) They are ALL expensive I have found! :yikes

Only good thing is I can sell these 35's to re-coop some money. :deal

bobs409

Administrator
After going blurry eyed, I think I decided on these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pct-55032

pct-5865295_ml.jpg

They are 32-11.5's They do have 33-12.5's too but with only an inch difference in height, not a big deal. Only one brand available for a 33-10.5 and I don't care for the tread pattern. I think it was BF Goodrich.

These Pro comps look good to me! Blackwall is fine too, seems appropriate on this Jeep.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe somebody looking for your 35's has a good set of something to trade, rims and all.

bobs409

Administrator
Well you know how that goes, when your looking for something... I'd rather new tires so I don't get someone else's rejects. :D

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I suppose you're right Bob, you'll be putting a ton of miles on that Jeep, might as well start with new.:beer

bobs409

Administrator
I'm going to do that Chevy transplant too! I heard it's not that bad or too costly. I'll just take it easy on the pedal. A TBI and catalytic convertor just ain't my style, they gotta go! :D

I have a good running 350 just sitting in the other garage waiting. It only has 145hp and from a 1975 Impala so it's not exactly an axle breaker believe me. :D

bobs409

Administrator
I'm a happy camper now. :D Got the new tires on today and the Jeep feels SO much better! I can actually use 5th gear now!

It has a much tamer look but well worth it as the ride, handling and performance gains over rules looks.

And here it is on the new Pro Comp 32-11.50-15's: (I even treated is to a new set of McGard wheel locks so my new purchase stays mine!)

DSCN3708.JPG
DSCN3707.JPG
DSCN3710.JPG

bobs409

Administrator
So it's also a little easier getting in too. ;)

Now for the drama/bad part of my day! (yeah, can't have too good of a day now can I?)

I bought these from Summit because I have my own tire changer and spin balancer but things did not go as planned. These tires have such stiff sidewalls, there was no way I was going to get them on! Had to take them to a tire shop and got scalped! Can you believe $25 dollars each? That's carry in, they didn't even have to remove from vehicle, remove a tire and mount a tire with NO balancing. (I was able to do that part myself) I did get a break on the one as I had the old tire off and one bead on the rim. (it's the last one that's a killer) So let's not forget tax too for a total of $84.80 for a few minutes work. (now you see why I wanted my own tire equipment)

Wasn't it just yesterday you could go to a small garage and get this same work for about $2 bucks each?

So to explain a bit further, it wasn't the size of the tires, it was the actual stiffness. (even the guy at the tire shop said what are these 100 ply sidewalls?) :D They have a similar tire changer but it's equipped with a device that presses down the sidewall. I've gotta start looking for one of those!!! :brow

So with the money I saved on the tires, it basically evened out after getting gouged for the install. Geez, wonder how much it would have been with a spin balance? :doh

bobs409

Administrator
Maybe something they didn't want you to know! Look up bead balancing online.

Pretty cool. I think I read about that somewhere before. I just balanced them on my spin balancer.

Bob, did you shop tirerack.com before buying from Summit?

Yeah, shopped all over for the best price. Places like tirerack wanted like $38 dollars shipping per tire!!! Summit only charged an over size rate of $9.50 per tire with no other shipping cost.