May have found my winter 4 X 4

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My daughter has one, nice to drive. The only thing that I have a problem with is the floor is to small. I can barely get my feet to find room to fit.
But she loves it.

Dave

bobs409

Administrator
Just gave it my personal safety inspection and overall pretty happy. (I trust no one!) :D Checked over all the fluids, lugs, etc and took it for a ride. Unfortunately it does have the "death wobble" if you hit a bump and I was only going about 40mph. I half way expected it as it's a common problem with these. A quick search on the net shows it's a very common complaint.

These feel a bit odd to drive with that short wheel base. It has a very quick turn ratio too especially after driving one of my old manual steering Chevy's. :D I agree with royaloak, not much floor space but what bothers me more is the pedals seem to sit a bit more to the left so you have to watch that. I went to push the clutch in and felt the brake pedal hit my shoe.

Mechanically, he's got this thing nailed. It's all he said it was. New battery, belts, water pump, radiator, 4 shocks, stabalizer shock, 4 wheels, 2 front tires, all brakes, steel lines & hoses.I do however suspect I'll have to replace some front end parts since it has that wobble. Those big tires aren't helping things.

4 cylinder is a bit of a slug but what can you do? It's not like I had others to choose from. I was lucky to find this one! I couldn't imagine driving this too fast but I'm not used to it yet either so that may be why. It has a very solid feel which is good. No rattles or squeaks.

How much air pressure would 35's take anyhow? I read them to be holding 25lbs right now, maybe it's too much.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, check the tire side wall for the max inflation pressure. I would run about 5 pounds under that.

bobs409

Administrator
I found the problem! He cut off the front trac bar as in it's GONE! Frame bracket is also cut off. The rear trac bar is there but is zip tied up and it's mount on axle tube cut off. Perhaps he was planning on changing these due to the lift? I have to research this more.

I read where if the bushings are loose on these it can cause shake. They didn't say anything about not having them at all! :eek3

On a good note, bottom isn't bad. Will need 1 front brake hose as it was rubbing the shock and all 3 brake cables. Rubber body cushions have seen better days so I'll get new ones of those too.

It's all to be expected. Not much surprises me anymore, I've seen some pretty scary stuff. Now you see why I give my new cars a safety inspection. :D

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool Jeep! Those are great for around town. Buddy has one that is painted bedliner black. Hit it with a hammer and it doesn't even flinch. His is the 4 cyl also with about 250k on it?? Something like that. They run forever! Simple trucks but they get the job done in the snow!

bobs409

Administrator
I found the problem! He cut off the front trac bar as in it's GONE! Frame bracket is also cut off. The rear trac bar is there but is zip tied up and it's mount on axle tube cut off. Perhaps he was planning on changing these due to the lift? I have to research this more.

I read where if the bushings are loose on these it can cause shake. They didn't say anything about not having them at all! :eek3

After researching this, this might not be the problem. The YJ series that this is has leaf springs. Supposedly these track bars are not needed with leafs as much as coils and many just remove them. Some remove the front sway bar too. (that too is missing) I guess this is why they have been removed.

Lots of things can cause wobble so I'll dig in deeper tomorrow. Gonna check for play in EVERYTHING! :D Gotta get it ready, that snow is on it's way. :angry

BTW, just posting this Jeep stuff on this forum because I like talking/typing to myself. LOL (and for anyone that might be interested) I have to find a good Jeep forum...

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, those big tires will cause a wobble, it may need one of those hydraulic dampers, like my 63 vette had. If you have a set of smaller rims that would bolt on there, try them.

Don

bobs409

Administrator
Had some luck today. Lowered the tire pressure to 24 and it has improved. Might try more! I checked everything on the front end and all is tight. Ball joints, tie rods, U joint, drag link, etc all good. The only thing I found play in is the column. It has the U joints in it so have to research that for the best repair/replacement.

It does have a feel of squirreliness if you hit a bump on a curve but better than yesterday. Could be the nature of the beast with the big tires.

It will get there. Lots of new parts coming tomorrow for it. Hey, even the clock works in this! :D

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob, I think you need to redo/update the filter for this site. Several times in this thread, a very nasty four letter word has shown up.

Nice Jeep by the way, I like the color too.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
With 35 inch tires on a light Jeep, run 20 pounds tire pressure. I would also recommend to drop down to a 31 or 33 inch tire for some more power while plowing. On my 78 Bronco with 35 12.50 15 tires I usually run 20-25 pounds in the tires all year around and it weighs roughly 6000 pounds.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I don't know about the air presures but I can tell you from experence, the bigger the tire and the higher the lift kit the worse the Jeep will drive. If you want it to drive like a car put it back to the original ride height and put no more than 31" tires on it. I have 30x9.5x15" tires on mine with a standard supension and it drives like it should.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Out on a snow run I will go 6-8 pounds of air, some guys go to 2 but they have headlock wheels. I always run a bit more as to not get a flat.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't know about the air presures but I can tell you from experence, the bigger the tire and the higher the lift kit the worse the Jeep will drive. If you want it to drive like a car put it back to the original ride height and put no more than 31" tires on it. I have 30x9.5x15" tires on mine with a standard supension and it drives like it should.
I agree with Tommy here and you will have a lot less headache.