Effing Ebay

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ok did I miss the memo?
I've been selling parts on Ebay for many years and I thought I knew their billing system.

My recent invoice was was over $60.........when I checked it I found that I was charged not only 10% of
final selling price but 10% of shipping fees!!! WTF!!

Then I ended an auction early.......basically because of their effed up freight calculator.........they charged
me 10% of the highest bid along with a fee for ending auction early......even though I didn't sell it!!

I know I'm showing my ass here but has it always been like that?...........I've sold tons of parts on Ebay
and never had a monthly bill this high.........and I've sold some high dollar stuff before.

Looks like Craigslist and car forums here on out.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That is there policy as of the last couple years. You will notice that we often refer to them as FEEbay on here. I kinda get why they started charging a fee on shipping although I don't like it. It is because people were selling for example an item that should cost $100 plus $10 shipping for $60 plus charging $50 shipping. They were saving the fees on that $40 difference in item cost thus working the system.
Their calculator is a load of crap. I always just calculate what shipping would be to the other side of the country from me here in GA. Then I add 10% to that to cover their fees and make that the flat shipping charge for the auction. I state in the description the reason for the high cost and that if someone wants an actual quote that I will honor (BEFORE the auction end) to message me with their shipping address. Most of the time people don't bother. I sold a set of old ET torque thrust style wheels last year @ $180 shipping listed as that's what it would have cost to send to Washington state or that area. The buyer messaged me a early in the auction and we figured that his actual shipping would be $120, so I changed it to that on his Final Bill. He didn't have to pay the extra shipping and Ebay didn't charge me 10% on the $60 difference in shipping.
Hope that helps some. I really am disgusted with Ebay too, but as of now they are pretty much a monopoly. You can sell things on CL or on the forums and that is much better but certain items you are still better off selling on there.

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Craigslist is a pain in the ass........although I did sell some stuff as of late.
Car forums are hit and miss for me.

bobs409

Administrator
Yeah, ebay sucks but I have no choice but to use them as it's my sole means of income. (and Paypal which is forced upon you because ebay owns them!)

I too hate Craigslist. I prefer to ship items instead of dealing with people all the time. Phone calls drive me insane and I hate waiting around for someone to show up.

Ebay reminds me a lot of the government. They always come up with new ways to screw you and always seem to be just within being legal.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You pretty much have to add whatever you think they are going to hit you with to the item cost. 10% of total shipped cost plus about 3.5% for paypal of total. Don't forget the percentage of what you are adding too. It is a shame that you have to mark stuff up so high, but it's the only way to get your money. Ebay makes it easy to find hard to get items, but they are driving the costs up on a lot of things.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Yeah, ebay sucks but I have no choice but to use them as it's my sole means of income. (and Paypal which is forced upon you because ebay owns them!)

I too hate Craigslist. I prefer to ship items instead of dealing with people all the time. Phone calls drive me insane and I hate waiting around for someone to show up.

Ebay reminds me a lot of the government. They always come up with new ways to screw you and always seem to be just within being legal.
Bob , I heard not too long ago that Fee-Bay sold Pay-Pal a few months ago. I don't know who owns them now.:rub:deal
:crazy:cheers

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I sure hope that is right. With them owning both companies you have no where to turn when one of them makes a bone-headed decision.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I would think it would be the other way around. PayPal was the biggest part of eBay.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I just gave them over $50 for a listing that ended up quite short of the Reserve and did not sell. The reserve setting was what cost the most. I didn't relist...

I'll continue to buy via Ebay, but don't plan on listing more expensive items...

Best, TomK

Monk

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If you take the time to call Tom you'll probably receive credit...........I did on the auction I ended early.

I, too, will take other avenues to sell parts before using Ebay.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Too many issues with Ebay over the last 11 years to mention. However I still use them, just sparingly. I really wish there were better alternatives to Ebay and Especially PayPal. PayPal is like DVM and the IRS, and OBAMA, they think they can do what ever they want, screw the people.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
I am still fuming a bit over listing a car for sale the dead beat high bidder never pays, so not only do I have to wait for him to attempt to pay and all that BS before I can relist and get fee credits etc but then I end up relisting the car 5 more times and my fault for not reading the FINE print that says after the 6th vehicle listing (in the same year) they toss you into being a "dealer" with higher fees etc and once your tagged as a dealer you can NEVER get off that list. What pisses me off even more is the fact that it was not 6 different cars it was ONE car RE-LISTED 6 times.