61Cruizer

61cruizer

Well Known Member
Knocks on 18 just cruising around town, but over 20 on the road. She cruises effortlessly at 75.
That price you estimated is less than half of what a full FAST unit & associated gear would cost...
What's the weight difference between the W block and the SB350, any idea?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With iron heads,about 125,give or take.The cruising rpm would'nt change since there'd be no need to change the rear gear and your ecm would still controll lock up for the torque convertor.Gas mileage would largely be controlled by chip tuning,and the weight of your right foot!:crazy

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think if you kept the 348's specs close to the current 350's as far as cam timing then you'd be okay. You could use the stock 348 cam or a camshaft with no more than 215* or so at .050" should still run well with the stock chip. For the throttle body, you could use the current one and be alright I think. Just get a TBI to carb adapter. The distributor is another issue......easiest there to use a distributor adapter from ShowCars probably. Doing it the way I'm talking about probably wouldn't gain you much power and your mileage probably wouldn't change much either, but there would be a definite "cool factor".

Another option if you didn't mind spending on a custom chip would be to find a throttle body off of a TBI 454 for the extra flow. It is essentially the same as your current one just has bigger throttle bores and larger injectors.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Being retired and curious ,I worked up an engine based on a 250 horse 348,379 heads with 2.065-1.725 [they cost the same so why not] valves,a Lunati flat tappet EFI grind from a small block 215 in-225ex @.050 cam.With small tube tri-y headers,a Performer rpm intake,and a Holley 670 throttle body.This thing with the proper chip will make very close to 400 ft.lbs at 3,750,with no less than 340 @ 2,000. I can post more details if desired.

61cruizer

Well Known Member
Summit Racing Monday Night Cruise Ins start April 27th!

Monday Night Cruise 4-27-15
Monday Night Cruise

Monday, April 27, 2015

Summit Racing Equipment, McDonough, GA

*Show off your ride--all vehicles welcome
*See the area's hottest cars and trucks
*Check out money-saving Manager Specials
*Awards and door prizes

61cruizer

Well Known Member
I picked up a retro 50' Cadillac Bat Wing air cleaner yesterday at Summit in McDonough. It was on their "scratch & dent" table for half price..after a bit of body work and paint, it looks brand new. Now for the next couple of evenings, I'll figure out how to adapt it to my TBI unit, with it's twin BatwingAirCleaner.JPG studs...a bit of pin striping may be in order, too!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That will be cool! Sorry I forgot all about the Summit cruise-in on 4/27. :doh

I was looking forward to coming up there and meeting you.

61cruizer

Well Known Member
I didn't make the cruise in on 4/27, but I do plan to go next Monday, 5/11...

I spent a little time doing some light fabrication last night, and have the Bat Wing mounted. I'm taking it to a pin striper in Winder (GA) Friday morning to have a little "flair" added..AirBox1.JPG AirBox2.JPG

Last edited:

61cruizer

Well Known Member
Made the trip to Winder Friday to see Tony Davis and have a little pin striping added to the Caddy Air Box. He also striped my old Coke Cooler that I keep in the trunk, filled with detail supplies & towels..Not bad for just $50.00!

Attachments

• airbox4.JPG
    airbox4.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 23
  • airbox6.JPG
    airbox6.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 25
  • cooler3.JPG
    cooler3.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 24