1960 Impala Gauges

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here are a couple of pictures of my 409 oil pressure line without a sender and my 327 oil pressure line with a sender.
Both of them have stainless braided oil pressure lines. I just bought a braided line from our local parts place (I can find the brand and type we bought)for a 63 oil pressure guage on a 63 409.

The last picture of the firewall shows the 4 speed backup light wiring harness hole
with my water temperature line, the braided oil pressure line and the backup wire exiting the factory firewall hole with the gromment for
the 4 Speed backup light wiring harness so you do not have to cut additional holes in the firewall.
Paul
P1010208_tn.jpg P1010211_tn.jpg P1010212_tn.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Paul, what is the cable with stop on the firewall in the 2nd and 3rd pictures. The one that looks like a manual choke cable?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That is the fast idle cable for my factory air conditioning on my 62 Impala 327 Hardtop. I do not have it hooked up to the carb acclerator arm. I probably should
since the air when turned on reduces the idle RPM so the car almost dies. What I have been doing is setting the idle faster on the carb since the air is used alot in the summer.
Paul

jeff hall

Well Known Member
Ecklers Classic Chevy lists soft plugs machined out of Alum. and tapped for temp. probe, I have also seen brass that had 1/2 inch couplings brazed on.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks to all your help I did go with the copper line and hooked up the oil pressure gauge with a t-type fitting. Also I have some pictures of the electric cut outs.
They turned out great.

Attachments

• 100_2121.JPG
    100_2121.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_2119.JPG
    100_2119.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 75
  • 100_2120.JPG
    100_2120.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 60

Hobart

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Some really cool ideas in this thread! Just to throw my .02 cents in, I agree with not changing the stock gauges, they really are a great looking cluster! In my '59 Bel Air, I'm keeping my cluster stock, and I was thinking some retro gauges under dash would be perfect. Like these SW gauges: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sww-82326-60.
Or these Moon gauges, which I bought: http://hawkhardware.com/index.php?m...ducts_id=523&zenid=huqvn9k6fc8afafmucriq30op7.

mpg5030.jpg

Peter Birmingham

Well Known Member
I agree with Hobart, a lot of great ideas in this post. I like the gauges you selected but I prefer to go with the 270 degree sweep on the oil pressure and water temperature. Just gives you a little closer reading.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I put the retro "Greenline" under dash gauges in my '60 because that is what I had in my race '60 back in the '60's. Always thought they were a good looking gauge.

Lonnie

brushwolf

Well Known Member
I also prefer to keep stock looking gauges, but was wondering if anyone knows if there is a speedometer that runs off electrical impulses while retaining the stock gauge face? I imagine there are companies that can do this, but not sure if it is any more cost effective than the gizmo's sold to convert the electronic pulse of a newer tranny (say a T56), to a mechanically drive speedometer. Still leaning towards retaining the 3 speed stick with overdrive, but driving my TA with T56 is always a hoot and peppy whether in town or running +70 on freeway without winding engine and have to fix the 5-6 shift fork in my spare T56 anyway...

brushwolf

Well Known Member
From my 94 LT1 TA. Was using as commuter car since 130 mile round trip to work every day and so used OD every day. Car had about 100k miles on it at the time and wasn't beat on a lot. One day going to work, shifted from 4th to 5th and nothing there. Tried 6th, nothing there either. 1-4 and reverse still worked and drove the car for a short while that way until I ran across a complete T56 setup from a 96 TA.

When it failed I was on freeway going about 60 and mildly shifted to find nothing there. There was no noise or resistance noticeable, it just has nothing there. So, my guess after some research makes me think it is just the 5-6 shift fork which appears to be serviceable by just removing shifter mechanism and tail housing.

Not sure if I should go through the whole thing while in it, but doesn't look any more difficult than the 4 or 5 top loader Ford trannies I have rebuilt in the past. I did pick up a kit of T56 special tools off EBay too, but it has sat on shelf several years while the tranny has sat under a Mustang gathering dust too.

See that keisler doesn't make their shifter relocation kits any more but a couple other companies do and since I want stock bench front seat, that would be necessary too. Not sure how to go about making the reverse lockout work in non-computer car, but figure there must be a way.. Not sure what to do with electronic speedometer if used it in the 60 and I don't want a non-stock appearing speedometer.

Dug out the tranny last night and cleaned it up and now sitting on makeshift bench. I did get a 64 3 speed with OD that will work in the Impala too, and also have a 64 T85 Ford OD tranny and adapter bellhousing of unknown origin that has Chev engine side and Ford trans side. Downside is GM 3 speed OD is light duty R10 OD and Ford HD T85 with R11 OD will probably cause some shift linkage and speedometer issues too.

I have this problem of keeping on changing the plan so short of a new flywheel and clutch, I have the two 3 speed OD setups with trannies and bellhousing said all cleaned up and ready to go. But having trouble deciding which to use so maybe not a great idea to add the 3rd option to the mix, but any of them should give me the OD which I cannot see going without. Otherwise I could just use a GM T10 or Saginaw 4 speed I have around here somewhere too, but see the 3 speed OD's as both preferable to those given where I usually drive (highway).

But being I have the whole T56 setup (pedal assembly, clutch slave and master, flywheel (that only works on one piece rear seal motors), clutch, PP and driveshaft (even the console), that should minimize the difficulty of getting clutch linkage and other parts to work. (Also have the LT1 starter as that is an issue using T56 as well). Too many options I guess. Gotta go, shop just called and said TA ready with AC pump replaced and check engine light issues hunted down and fixed (electronic and AC issues above my pay grade..)