1960 Impala Gauges

Peter Birmingham

Well Known Member
I am thinking about replacing the stock gauges on my 60 Impala with classic gauges from Auto Meter. Has anyone done this to there car? Any suggestions? The car has a 348 which has been converted from a generator to an alternator, do I need an Ammeter or Voltmeter? I also replaced the fuel sending unit in the gas tank, do I need the 0-30 Ohm or the 0-90 Ohm gas gauge. I also plan on adding an oil pressure gauge 0-100 full sweep and a water temp gauge 120-240 full sweep. I plan on keeping the existing speedometer. The gauges will have a black background with white letters and an orange pointer. Just in the planning stage now so any comments would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 100_4249.JPG
    100_4249.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 71
  • 100_4250.JPG
    100_4250.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 100_4248.JPG
    100_4248.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 60

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Always nice to have accurate gauges. I don't know what ohm for the fuel gauge. I prefer mechanical gauges for water and oil. Amp gauges tell you more about your charging system but can be dangerous due to the amp load through the gauge. Volt meters are much more popular.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:yup I can understand wanting gauges in addition to or in place of idiot lights but I agree with Lonnie - the 1960 factory gauges are too pretty to replace.

If only there was a dual or combined amp/oil pressure gauge in the style of the stock ones to insert in place of the idiot lights, or seperate amp and oil pressure gauges in the style of the stock ones to put in place of the idiot lights and the clock.

I prefer an amp gauge if the car dosen't have a huge current requirement.

As for accuracy, if the amp gauge tells me the alternator or generator (I gave up old fashioned generators years ago) is charging then that's good enough for me.

If you suspect the stock temperature gauge is a little off measure the raidator temperature and compare with gauge reading. If my car ain't a boiling over I consider things are good.

Hope you find something that pleases you.

jeff hall

Well Known Member
Install good mechanical oil/temp gauges under dash. They make a soft plug with fitting to install temp probe and it's out of sight so you can have stock idiot lites in dash and good numbers to read.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Sometime you don't know what you have until someone points it out to you. Those original gauges really do look good, I think I will keep them just as is. I guess some things just can't be improved on, thanks for the input.
Good decision (in my opinion). '59-'60 is my favorite gauge cluster. Also love the '51-'52, '55 '56, and '57. Guess I'm just ate up!! Almost bought an early VW once that had a '59 dash, 283 w/powerglide, hot water heat and all. Didn't feel right in the rear end so I passed on it. The dash reeled me in on that one.

Lonnie

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Im in the process of doing the same thing on our 409 2x4 car. Is there any way to run both idot lights on the oil gauge and run a under dash set of oil pressure
gauges.?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes there are "T" style fittings that will allow you to attach the sender on one side,and the line for the other.There are cooper line kits availeable that are much better/safer than the plastic lines that come with most gauge kits.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
An easy way to do the under dash temp gauge and keep the original dash idiot light working is to provide a location for another sending unit. Rather than knocking out and replacing a soft plug, I drilled and tapped my thermostat housing. Been running my '62 this way for 23 years. DSC01134.JPG

Last edited:

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Now that was creative. So simple. How about the oil pressure gauge, we had to use the original fitting for the under dash gauge, now no dash gauge.
Has anyone tried to put a fitting in the oil pan, for the dash gauge? Really great idea's on this site. thanks 62 Impala 409. can't wait to hear this
beast roar. We just finished up installing the electric cut outs.... they look cool, and the fit is excellent.
:burnout

Attachments

• 100_2121.JPG
    100_2121.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_2116.JPG
    100_2116.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 45

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes there are "T" style fittings that will allow you to attach the sender on one side,and the line for the other.There are cooper line kits availeable that are much better/safer than the plastic lines that come with most gauge kits.

Like Don said, they make a "T" to use where the stock sender is to separate it out so you can keep your stock oil pressure gauge and add an aftermarket one. Tapping into the oil pan wouldn't work. The oil down here is not under pressure. You need to be hooked to an oil gallery.

Looks great by the way.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks, and thanks. Im in Seattle wa. any idea's of where to get one of these?. I like the idea of having both. Great picture, is worth 1000 words... or so they say. lol

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe best to take your stock oil pressure switch with you to the hardware store to find a "T". Most parts stores have them but often you have to get just the right employee to know where they are kept. Usually in a bin behind the counter.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Any plumbing dept like Menards, Home Depot, or NAPA will have the fitting. It is 1/8" male pipe into the block, 1/8" female pipe on the other end for the sending unit, and 1/8" female pipe on the side for the oil line to the gauge. You will need a 1/8" compression adapter to fasten the oil tube. Use only copper tubing for the oil line. The more common plastic lines that usually come with the gauges are prone to breaking. NOT GOOD!

poison ivy

Well Known Member
we pick up oil pressure at the front of the block,on top of the the chain.the gives a reading at the further est point from the oil pump,for the under dash, and gives readings at two points. the lights read at the rear.