1959 El Camino 348 Stroker

alexm900

Well Known Member
DetailDash01.jpg

Top of the dash is more of a satin finish to reduce glare, the dash facia is wet gloss ^

dash004.jpg

Got a good deal on some mint 60 dash trim, couldn't resist despite being the wrong year ^

DetailHeaterControl01.jpg

Heater control had to be repaired ^

DetailRadio01.jpg

Also found a 59 clock and 59 radio to get rid of the ugly block off plates

alexm900

Well Known Member
glovebox001.jpg

Started to rewire some electrics for the dash, here courtesy light for glove box, the glove box insert being a so so repro

instruments001.jpg

Fixed up the broken horn, and horn ring assembly, repaired the cracked steering wheel, replaced some switches

ashtray001.jpg

Rewired the radio (only the night lights work) and the cigarette lighter

clock001.jpg

The clock was out of a 1959 Corvette if I recall, but it does not work, sculpted an aluminum pop rivet to replace the missing winder

Detailventknob01.jpg

Wired door jambs switches and replaced the vent triggers with impala switch knobs

Last edited:

alexm900

Well Known Member
DetailPedals01.jpg

New repro rubber for the brake pedal and new rubber lined throttle pedal ^

DetailWiperMotor01.jpg

Reconditioned 2 speed wiper motor, could not get the windscreen wiper wash fluid pump to work again ^

rearlight001.jpg

Reconditioned the rear light cups, and found a true El Camino light surround (previously a modified passenger car)
The four lenses are okay repro

alexm900

Well Known Member
Fast forward to late 2014

roof001.jpgroof002.jpg

With painted white roof (Snowcrest White to contrast with Tuxedo Black) after rust repairs ^

rooflining002.jpg

rooflining003.jpg

Progress on the roof lining (painted bows etc...) ^ ^

SeatHoles1.jpg

Many different bench seats over the years ^

Armrest01.jpg

Custom made arm rest to match the 59 Impala door trim

bedtrim001.jpg

Repairs to some ~40 holes on the bed trim moldings (on going)

RearChevShield01.jpg

Replaced the broken/worn tailgate jewelry centerpiece (cracked top right but cheap) ^

alexm900

Well Known Member
Then this thing turns up on flea bay in Dec 2014

Advert409.jpg

The Elky is coming along nicely, albeit slowly, and some cash has been set aside for the purchase of a 348.
This listing allows me to get in touch with Mitch Akers while this 409 is being sold to a customer in New Zealand.
Mitch and I settle finally for a 348/440 stroker on the basis of the kit sold by Jack.

advertstroker.jpg

alexm900

Well Known Member
Early March 2015, getting parts to start the engine build...

zCrank001.jpg

The Eagle crank from the stroker kit, straight out of the box, but needing a lot of work
(i.e. machining, heat relieving, grinding, balancing, etc, ...) ^

Pistons001.jpgPiston002.jpg

Ross (or KB? sry cannot remember now) pistons, ~ weight matched ~ 650 grams ^

tripdeuce001.jpg

3x2 (assembled by Charlie Price) bought $800.- from a guy that got rid of his Impala before having a chance
to install the trick induction. He had it for many years as a mantle piece in his lounge room apparently ^

alexm900

Well Known Member
Thanks Don, it is indeed possible those are KB, Mitch changed a few things on this build because I was either being a pain in the backside or he was not happy with some of the engine components. I do remember Mitch going from Ferrea to Manley valves, from Isky to Schneider stick and from Comp to Scorpion/Crane rockers

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Are you going to dyno this piece?:pray It would be interesting to see what those 379's will support.Are you using 2.06 or 2.19 intake valves?