Roller cam ???

409Kid

Well Known Member
Of course! I would check in with Crower, Isky, Lunati or Howards. And I'm sure there are others who also have a pressure-fed lifter that they will set up for you.
I have two ancient Crower roller cams and lifter set ups. A 100R in my Algon injected engine and an 80R in my ‘62. I’ve never had an oiling problem to the rollers and until now didn’t realize there was a potential issue.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I guess it depends on the type and amount of usage. A lot of street usage and/or monster valve springs may shorten the roller life. Maybe even some of today's more extreme profiles. Seems to me, if you keep an eye on the lash you can get by OK. But if I'm buying new lifters anyway I want the oilers. JMO.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Since rollers were mainly "race" engines until recently they relied on "Splash" from lifters rods etc for lubrication. Lower rpm ranges and especially idle rpm less splash less lubrication. Why Comp and Crower and maybe Isky added oil feed passages to the roller bearings. Solid Roller Spring pressure and aggressive lobe ramps load the roller bearing a lot too so they can be a factor.
One of my Pontiac buddies with a SR in his "street" 505 Trans Am has lost rollers on two different cams-even the Crower oiler ones and a bushed one! He has toned the cam down since the last rebuild.