Roller cam ???

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I'm toying with the idea, of treating my 409, to a Solid Roller Cam, for summer.:dunno2 I've read about the problems, of the lifters not getting enough oil at idle.:confused Isky has Red Zone lifters. Is that a solution? I'm not looking for a .600 lift cam, and not planning, on going over 6000 RPM. Also, I can't see driving more than 300-400 miles in the Summer month's. How many of you guys, run Solid Roller Cam's, on the street? Can they live? Good idea or not? Thanks in advance.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Skip.You don't really need a solid roller cam,just find a mild hyd.roller cam run solid roller liFters on it and stay with the much milder valve springs.The ''Red Zone'' liFters can be an option,but are very expensive for what you're trying to do.Howards Cams did make a ''Street''solid roller lifter that would satisfy your needs since they are made to use a liGhter spring load,making lower loads on the valve train. I don't think the roller cam is a bad idea.I also think that most of the roller lifter failures are caused largly by the heavy spring pressures needed for the large lift,wide duration cams that most people use together.A mild hyd.roller cam in the 230,intake,236 ex.range in your 474 would suit you just fine.Comp makes just such a grind.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
One of my Pontiac buddies has had Crower single hole oil go out and and Isky bushed on his 505 street driven motor. Current went back to Crowers with the dual feed oiling.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Of course! I would check in with Crower, Isky, Lunati or Howards. And I'm sure there are others who also have a pressure-fed lifter that they will set up for you.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think the Isky"red zone" lifters are a bushed lifter instead of needle bearings??? The general opinion I get talking to "lifter" people is that they don't like bushed lifters on the street. I don't quite understand that because IH DT466, Detroit Diesel, Cummins & Cat all use roller lifters with bushings. No needles and obviously they work and have done so FOREVER! At WFO they are running what a W does at fast idle! Most solid roller profiles look a bit aggressive for the street, but you could always do a custom. Solid lifters on a hydraulic roller cam is doable. That's what I am planning on doing, if I ever get to build an engine for Bella. This tractor stuff has to slow down. I keep Crower 66204H-16 solid rollers in stock.
Jeff

Last edited:

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
If you do run solid rollers on the street, bump idle speed up a bit. Gets more oil flowing. Easier to live with on a stick car than an auto however. When my car was a street car it had needle bearing solid rollers, it eventually ate one.

I was also told trying to avoid long idle periods helps. Can be tough to do in traffic though. Of course good oil helps.

I now run the bushed lifters, but it's no longer a street car (well, it still has plates and tags) so I can't speak to their suitability for street.

Well Known Member
This my 409 sitting on an engine stand thinking of doing an engine swap for my white 63 Impala just to see how runs. It has solid roller lifters. This is the cam card and the Dyno results. This will be used only on the weekends for occasional driving going to meets and sometimes trying it out on local drag strips. What type of street manners will I be expecting?
Currently it’s a 4- sp with 4:56 gears posi. I won’t lunch the car too hard off the line because I’m sure I’m gonna break something.

Attachments

• C8930C19-E413-4B7D-86C3-0B5F3363F9A6.jpeg
    C8930C19-E413-4B7D-86C3-0B5F3363F9A6.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5535.jpeg
    IMG_5535.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 57