Reading AFB dates codes

409Kid

Well Known Member
Can anyone shed light on how to decipher dates codes on the stamp pad below the list number.

409Kid

Well Known Member
Well that wouldn’t really be practical as I have over 50 sets of carbs to go through. I just thought if someone could simply tell me what each placement represented I could go through them all. I didn’t get any response on the Z-II forum so I thought I’d try here in a separate thread.

As an example I have a matched pair with AM1 stamped below the list number 3361s

drc409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I always thought code is: week month (“I” is not used) and year :unsure:

409Kid

Well Known Member
Okay. Well the AM1 would make sense as they are on my Jan Build ‘62 SS.

Quik9r
I’m not sure I understand the engineering revision reference. Would there be multiple revisions in a months time? How would one know exactly what that revision was? Is there a Carter AFB or Chevrolet production change memo? I look at a 3361 against multiple 3361’s and don’t see anything glaring at me.

DRC409
Assuming you are correct and if it was week/month/year it would mean
A-D to cover weeks of the month
A-M excluding I for month
0-9 for year ?

As an example if I were to search for an early set of 63 carbs I would need something like A-D /J-L/ 2. (?)

Last edited:

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Okay. Well the AM1 would make sense as they are on my Jan Build ‘62 SS.

Quik9r
I’m not sure I understand the engineering revision reference. Would there be multiple revisions in a months time? How would one know exactly what that revision was? Is there a Carter AFB or Chevrolet production change memo? I look at a 3361 against multiple 3361’s and don’t see anything glaring at me.

DRC409
Assuming you are correct and if it was week/month/year it would mean
A-D to cover weeks of the month
A-M excluding I for month
0-9 for year ?

As an example if I were to search for an early set of 63 carbs I would need something like A-D /J-L/ 2. (?)
I have only seen A or B revision, it is also referenced in chevrolet by the numbers author Alan Colvin

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
if you zoom in on the pads you will an A version of 3362 and B version of 3361.

Attachments

• IMG_20180205_110103.jpg
    IMG_20180205_110103.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 12

409Kid

Well Known Member
Okay guys. Thank you for clearing this up. Does anyone know when the B code occurred? I’ll take a deeper look into my stash of carbs. I had a second set of AM1 carbs that were already restored in my shelf and just grabbed them to set on my intake manifold. Now I’ll go back and search for carbs closer to K-L2 for what I’m trying to put together for the Z-11 project.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I have read it was between dec/62 and Jan 63 but I am not sure
best bet would be talk with one of the bigger carb rebuilders

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
just my thought but think about about what we are saying....maybe the the B version matched up with the 3804 replacement of the 3362??