63 parking brake restoration

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
One of the last things I have to do is install the parking brake.I plan on media blasting the parts and was wondering about the finishes on everything.The pedal/ratchet assembly is pretty cut and dried.You can see the bare steel/black paint line.It looks like the linkage pieces were bare steel.Were the equalizer and pulley bracket on the firewall black?It looks that way.Does anyone know what finish the hardware was?IMG_2350.jpegIMG_2356.jpegIMG_2355.jpegIMG_2354.jpeg

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I’m here….

pulley bracket is painted gloss black like the factory did.
bead blast parking brake mechanism to bare metal
tape off to paint pedal black like the factory did - not easy but can be done
clear coat paint both sides of bare metal on parking brake mechanism - to stop rust ( factory left them bare metal )
paint the pull back springs black - the ones attached to the mechanism ( there were black from the factory )

paint the pull handle on the mechanism black - also like original was ( not easy to tape off to not paint the bare metal black but it can be done -
install new black white lettered plastic handle ( probably have to glue plastic handle to the black painted handle on the mechanism - repro handles are threaded ( 61 & 62 parking brake pull handles on the mechanism are not threaded - not sure on 63/64 pull handles having threads

i paint the 2 mounting studs for the mechanism through firewall silver to match zinc plated hex mounting nuts for firewall
i zinc plate the cables ( both cables) and the other linkage that connects the cables( i think most of the linkage was plated) - option paint silver after bead blasting

i also zinc plate the special pulley bolts and special bolt washers to stop rust and zinc plate the hex mounting bolt for the pulley firewall bracket
i zinc plate the hex firewall nuts ( or paint silver ) they were plated from the factory to my knowledge

you may need a new round rubber grommet for the cable through firewall ( they get ripped either from age or use
Paul

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I’m here….

pulley bracket is painted gloss black like the factory did.
bead blast parking brake mechanism to bare metal
tape off to paint pedal black like the factory did - not easy but can be done
clear coat paint both sides of bare metal on parking brake mechanism - to stop rust ( factory left them bare metal )
paint the pull back springs black - the ones attached to the mechanism ( there were black from the factory )

paint the pull handle on the mechanism black - also like original was ( not easy to tape off to not paint the bare metal black but it can be done -
install new black white lettered plastic handle ( probably have to glue plastic handle to the black painted handle on the mechanism - repro handles are threaded ( 61 & 62 parking brake pull handles on the mechanism are not threaded - not sure on 63/64 pull handles having threads

i paint the 2 mounting studs for the mechanism through firewall silver to match zinc plated hex mounting nuts for firewall
i zinc plate the cables ( both cables) and the other linkage that connects the cables( i think most of the linkage was plated) - option paint silver after bead blasting

i also zinc plate the special pulley bolts and special bolt washers to stop rust and zinc plate the hex mounting bolt for the pulley firewall bracket
i zinc plate the hex firewall nuts ( or paint silver ) they were plated from the factory to my knowledge

you may need a new round rubber grommet for the cable through firewall ( they get ripped either from age or use
Paul
:appl :appl:appl