M/T Crossram for sale on FB Marketplace

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Go ahead and kick me. Probably 25+ years ago I was set up at the Heartland Park Topeka Super Chevy swap meet and Dale Wilch had a 409 MT cross ram with newer Carters that he had sold someone new and he was selling it for the guy. Price $600! I thought I could find one cheaper! Probably the worst part was I took and sold a factory GM 302 cross ram intake that I don't think had ever been bolted down. I paid $300 for it and sold it for $1000, so I had $700 free $ in my pocket. That's where a fool and his $ should have parted!
Jeff

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't know about Chevy applications but the word in the Pontiac hobby is that the m/t crossrams aren't that effective but more for looks. The factory inline 2x4 intakes perform better. As far as repopping them just last year two guys named John Cogger and Tom Schlauch actually did repop the early 60s factory Pontiac bathtub intake. They made and sold almost fifty of them before demand fell off. I bought three of them to do turn key setups on and sell. They priced them at $2500 each plus shipping. I will post a picture of one they are the best Pontiac bathtubs in terms of features and casting and machining quality and are better than the factory originals of which between 40 and 50 were made.

Attachments

• cs mu3.jpg
    cs mu3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 33

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
9771980 super duty heads. Here is a real one with carbs, linkage, etc. restored. The twelve '63 Super Duty Lemans came with the inline 9770859 inline dual quad setups installed on the engine and one of the bathtubs was in the trunk or was shipped to the recipient of the car after the car was delivered. Most users of these things installed two 750cfm NASCAR AFBs on them which is what you see on the restored setup. The carbs ran in tandem. There is a choke on the rear carb of this restored set but all of the choke components were removed from both carbs back then. A choke on one carb doesn't do anything anyway since the carbs are running in tandem.

Attachments

• bt 2.jpg
    bt 2.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 35
  • bt 3.jpg
    bt 3.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 35
  • bt 4.jpg
    bt 4.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 33
  • bt1.jpg
    bt1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 36

409Kid

Well Known Member
Very cool piece of Pontiac history.

When I was in HS my best friend had a ‘64 GTO 389 tri power four spd car. It had been his brother’s but sadly he didn’t return from ‘Nam. He and I went to get a ‘62 SD 421 with the dual four setup that was advertised for sale in a local newspaper. Remember those? Complete engine, starter on the left side of the block. Fan to bellhousing, air cleaners to oil pan with the long cast headers. The engine was all complete. I think it had a Mckellar 11(?) cam Plucked out of a lightweight Catalina. He swapped the engines as the old 389 was well beyond tired. The county could have used the car for mosquito abatement. Man did that car fly with the SD in it. But he then decided to put on an early set of Ram Air heads. He then had the SD dual quad manifold planed off to fit the RA heads. I don’t remember if he had to have adapter plates made or just shaved the flanges. I just shook my head knowing how rare a complete SD 421 was. He still has the GTO up in Idaho somewhere.

At the same time, I had my ‘62 409/409, the “Bracket Jumper” ‘61 SS drag car and a 64 Chevelle that I had dropped the 409 engine from the BJ. I took off the M/T and put a single manifold on with an adapted Holley 1050 cfm 3 bbl. I had a Chrysler 2.64 low 4 spd and a l’57 Olds with a 4.88 posi on lift bars. We would go out at lunch time and drag race in front of the HS. I eventually scrapped the Chevelle. The engine later getting a set of Algons running on Methanol and out into my nostalgia 23T altered.

I keep taunting him to bring the GTO back out to Ca for a HS reunion and a grudge race against my ‘62. 45 yrs later and he hasn’t come back yet. I think his scared..

Last edited:

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
421 Super Duty engines mounted the starter on the driver's side just like all other Pontiac blocks, the starter was just mounted upside down in order to clear the SD exhaust manifolds. They made a special starter nose to accomplish that. There is no way to mount an early 60s SD intake on later Ram Air heads unless you modify the intake quite a bit. The sd intakes match '61-'64 pattern heads while the RA heads are 65> pattern. Pontiac used five different head patterns where the water cross over bolted up and the water passages were.