M/T Crossram for sale on FB Marketplace

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Can’t see what they look like, but that’s one of the nicest prices I’ve seen….. you can go back better than 15 Years without seeing that kind of price

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Ya, some of this stuff is now bringing stupid money for parts. I am surprised Barret Jackson doesn't have a parts auction, that would really be something to see all the people paying out huge money just to have some of this stuff.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not sure if it's accurate, but I heard they only made about 50. That is super rare. It's going to make them expensive.
If some one made 50 of them now I'd guess they would cost$70,000.
I'm working on finishing a 2x4 street manifold and it's a lot of money.
I have one that's modified for a raised intake port that I'd want to try. They are a chore to install from what everyone tells me. They are worth 44 HP according to Joe Sherman.
Bob

409Kid

Well Known Member
Wow Bob. Joe Sherman another blast from the past if it’s who I’m thinking of. I raced him in my white Sport Belair at a Super Chevy event at Sears Point in the ‘80s. He had a red lightweight ‘62 Sport Belair. Wondered why ever happen to that car?

Re the X-Rams. I don’t think the 50 is accurate. I could be wrong. I had three in my collection at one time back in the ‘80s. I had seen probably 4 others at various regional swapmeets over time. I still have a polished M/T that was on my flat bottom.
If it made that much horsepower I’d sure like to see the dyno sheet comparisons.

I had an as cast crossram that had no PN or M/T on the casting. Thought it to be a pre production prototype. Never saw another that way unless it had be ground off.

I can say that these manifolds a ridiculously heavy, a PITA to access the center bolts. Definitely designed for race applications. When in High school I took a M/T off my ‘61 Impala Bracket car and tried it on my 409/409. It didn’t like it a bit. Totally undriveable corked up. Poor low/midrange, cold blooded. Just
A miserable experience. But I was 17 at the time, the engine over carbureted and I was trying to look cool at school. No go showboat at that point. The factory quads went back on the next day.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Joe Sherman told me the manifold was worth 44 hp. ASdding 2 660 tunnel ram Holleys was worth 22 more. There's many tuning issues. A friend added a 2 inch spacer uner the carbs and installed a balnce tube to connect the 2 halves of the intake. Helped a lot. I might try mine one day.
Bob

409Kid

Well Known Member
I’d like to see a dyno comparison with just the manifold change. Same carbs same tune. I doubt that was the case. Dual equalizer tubes at the front and back of the runners may help it be more streetable. There was an article back in the 70’s about someone running 409s with a M/T using modified Holley 500cfm 2bbl carbs on a super modified sprint car. I think he was in Ohio (?) maybe. It’s been many years ago and I’ve forgotten more about the subject than I can remember. My hobby interest went toward Salsbury motor scooter restorations and currently vintage MG restoration and vintage road racing

But I still have a reasonable sized 409 parts inventory and my first car. The red on black ‘62 SS 409/409. How I didn’t manage to thrash it into the scrap yard as so many of my HS buddies did to their cars is amazing. It must have been the regular maintenance schedule she was on. A posi rear end every month, a T-10 or Muncie on alternating months and a stock
Clutch replacement snuck in between. I got really intimate with her under the car. I still remember bench pressing four spds in and out by myself. Wish they had invented Velcro back then. Lol

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
409Kid,
Now that's punishment! The old saying rode hard and put up wet almost seems to apply here. But at least you kept putting her back together and didn't toss her on the scrap heap! Can't say I have mt 1st car. My Dad made me sell it and buy something more reliable to drive to college. A back to back dyno test would be very interesting.
Jeff

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
There's a potential "test mule" in my stable. It currently resides in a '62 Biscayne :).

1962 Biscayne 2 door post.jpg

Truck block. Stock bottom end using the 409 crank fitted with KB-Ikons on 6.135 rods.
583 heads. Solid lifter cam. Open headers. Have both sets of intakes with respective carbs.

Missing a few things to fire her up.

Don't have a dyno :).

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The assembly was done by the one and only James Schrader (La Hot Rods) using some freshened up top end parts from the BA409 stroker engine (583s and valve train, including camshaft/lifters). We picked up the block and bottom end out of Tulsa, supposedly built by a local 409 expert. James of course found an error in his assembly and once again saved the day :).

Jeff, do you remember the cylinder heads I got from you some 20 years ago that had a push rod hole in one head? Those are the resurrected 583s :). I put 12,000 miles on those before we stuck that stroker engine in the Belair race car :).