Not mine. Person on facebook selling 1961 bubble with 409 4speed

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is there a reason this 1961 SS wouldn't just say SS on the cowl tag? I've seen tags with SS in the trim section behind the number stamped.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It is a real SS car. According to the Cowl tag
I was thinking on the engine cowl tag not the A pillar inside the door vin. A trim tag should be where trim would be displayed especially when considering the SS option is just trim pieces. Nothing special about the car otherwise. Did I miss something? Did they actually state it was an SS car on the trim tag? I know the vin will tell you but does the 1961 SS cars actually say that on the firewall in the engine compartment?

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Each plant used a different code for an SS car in 1961. This car has that code on the trim tag. Its a REAL SS car per the codes on the trim tag. All 61 SS cars had either a 348 or 409 and many other options as standard equipment. 348 305hp was the base engine in a 1961 SS car
Curious, the vin decoder has an option for the SS with a 6cylinder in 1961. Can anyone confirm you can in fact get other options besides just the 348 or 409? What about small block cars from the factory in 1961, could they be an SS too?

Well Known Member
Not sure about 1961, But in 1962 you could order a Impala SS with any engine from the 235 up to the 409.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I have learned through the years that a true factory built '61 SS had a 348 or 409 only.

Also, not mentioned for a while, there were only 453 '61 SS cars ever made.

Biscayne Stocker

Curious, the vin decoder has an option for the SS with a 6cylinder in 1961. Can anyone confirm you can in fact get other options besides just the 348 or 409? What about small block cars from the factory in 1961, could they be an SS too?
Like i said. Base engine in a 1961 SS car is a 348 305hp also available was 348 340hp and 350hp. Also 409 360hp. No small block or 6 cyl available in 1961 SS cars.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Like i said. Base engine in a 1961 SS car is a 348 305hp also available was 348 340hp and 350hp. Also 409 360hp. No small block or 6 cyl available in 1961 SS cars.
So my question still stands. WHY WOULD THERE BE A VIN CODE FOR 1961 CHEVY SS WITH A 6 cylinder if that was not built or an option? Did GM just make up codes for cars, engines, Chassis that didn't exist? Trying to understand this because I have heard of SS cars having 6 cylinders just not sure if this applies to the 1961 cars. If GM goes through the process of making a code for a vin, then I can only assume some 1961 SS ended up with a 6 cylinder.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
So my question still stands. WHY WOULD THERE BE A VIN CODE FOR 1961 CHEVY SS WITH A 6 cylinder if that was not built or an option? Did GM just make up codes for cars, engines, Chassis that didn't exist? Trying to understand this because I have heard of SS cars having 6 cylinders just not sure if this applies to the 1961 cars. If GM goes through the process of making a code for a vin, then I can only assume some 1961 SS ended up with a 6 cylinder.
What VIN decoder are you referring to? There is no code on the VIN for SS.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What VIN decoder are you referring to? There is no code on the VIN for SS.
I was wondering how people are calling any car a true SS because I never knew of any way to decode the vin that way myself. The vin decoder on this website shows you can create an SS 6 cylinder car but now I'm guessing its a generic decoder that shouldn't allow for such a combo based on the feedback. Learn something new every day. :D

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I was wondering how people are calling any car a true SS because I never knew of any way to decode the vin that way myself. The vin decoder on this website shows you can create an SS 6 cylinder car but now I'm guessing its a generic decoder that shouldn't allow for such a combo based on the feedback. Learn something new every day. :D
How are you creating an SS 6 cylinder car when there was nothing in the VIN specifying an SS, only the model number like Bel Air, Impala, etc.

Biscayne Stocker

There is nothing in the Vin that denotes SS. Its on the trim tag/cowl tag. Its a real SS car period!! Whether it came with a 348 or 409 is hard to prove unless you have paperwork. But it is a real SS car. The codes prove that