068 409 front pad question

815moto

I just got my block today. It's a standard bore 068 block. It's 61 dated. However it seems the block had been decked or no numbers were ever stamped on the front pad. I cleaned it with thinner to see if I could see evidence of it being grinded off.

815moto

I was thinking that too. I remember some one saying a certain pattern of the hatch on top of the block tells you if it has been decked or not

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I believe your block has been decked. That's OK ...it would have been nice to have the original stampings.
But.............that is a very early block. I don't believe I've ever seen such an early casting date...June!!! The earliest I've seen is July. Cecil can chime in here. I think you have a very valuable block here.

815moto

I believe your block has been decked. That's OK ...it would have been nice to have the original stampings.
But.............that is a very early block. I don't believe I've ever seen such an early casting date...June!!! The earliest I've seen is July. Cecil can chime in here. I think you have a very valuable block here.
I hope it's worth something... As much as I chucked for it. I found some 61 mid December dated heads I may be buying. My car was assembled last week of December so I the heads may be too late.

815moto

Would this t10 could of been built with these dates and made it to the assembly line in time to make it in my car?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
There is a date stamped just to the right of your side cover picture. It is stamped into the main case housing. Show us a picture of that and we can tell you when your 4-speed was assembled.