#1 stolen collector car according to the Auto Club

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
62, 63, and 64 Impala, and they are are leaving the country after they get stolen. Placed in steel storage containers to be shipped to Japan. AAA had 14 stolen in so cal last year and recovered two, on the docks in storage containers headed to Japan, both recovered cars had Lo Jack units, which works through steel shipping containers. I'm looking for collector car insurance right now and they gave me this information and will let me know if they will be insuring any more 64 Impalas, which is what I have. Who knew?

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I forgot to mention that these Impalas were low riders, which mine is not but still under Auto Clubs microscope right now.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yours can easily become a low low. I wouldn't put much faith into what Auto Club says. Bottom line, They need an excuse to charge more

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would'nt bother with Auto Club, go with Grundy or Hagerty, they don't bother with stupid inspections and other idiotic things like Auto Club.

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Actually, with 100,000 and 300,000 coverage, no deductible, the annual premium would be 318.00 which is the lowest price i got, but the top exec's are hashing out if they will insure Impalas 62 through 64. There's even a guy out here with a 67 Impala with a 427 in it waiting for a decision.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I pay less then that with Grundy and they don't want to check if my windshield wipers work.

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I have Grundy now, they got bought out by Philedelphia Insurance and eliminated all the independent agents that sold the insurance. Grundy kept upping my value and premium, this year 49,000 and 360.00, my just eliminated agent is trying to get me signed up with a new collector car company owned by Infinity, I've had dealings with Infinity and they don't impress me. Highest price I got was over six hundred a year from Haggerty, I called a local independant agent for that price. AAA had a booth set up selling collector car insurance at a car show near my home about three weeks ago. The Infinity policy looks like they need several forms filled out and photos, didn't really study it. AAA will send out someone to take photos and check to see where this car is parked, secure garage is required. State Farm did The same several years ago, but wouldn't insure my car for fourty thousand because they didn't add value for the 409 engine at that time, but do now. I see my old State Farm agent at the car shows. I got a week to get insurance from someone, just thought you guys would like to know about the number one stolen car in southern Cal.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes, Grundy is harder to deal with now that I lost my agent but they still are cheaper for me and they don't want to look at my car. I still don't believe a thing that comes from Auto Club. The only thing I do business with them is my tow membership, should drop that but what the heck. The high dollar car right now is the 59, 58, 60, 61. in that order. Security is ultra tight trying to get a car out of country (Port of Long Beach and L.A.) and I doubt it's a hot bed for exporting stolen cars. In the last few years the Japs have been selling the cars they bought back to us in the USA, their economy has been very bad.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Try American collectors

Contact Us - 1-800-360-2277

Homepage-Image-3.jpg

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Classic Chevys have been heading to japan for years now both stolen and legit sales. The Japanese car culture is probably the best in the world if you can believe that! They LOVE american cars especially customs and lowriders. And they pay TOP dollar to get them!

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thank you for that lead, American collectors online quote was 590.60 a year, I'll try State Farm later today. They have six month premiums.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thank you for that lead, American collectors online quote was 590.60 a year, I'll try State Farm later today. They have six month premiums.

I only pay a little over $725.00 for 5 cars with Amercan. Not sure why yours is so high:dunno

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

A 6 month policy is not a good thing compared to 12 months, insurance companies like 6 month policies since it gives them more opportunity to raise your rates and cancel you sooner.

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Part of my problem could be I have a modified car, headers and disc brakes Grundy has a decent rate, Haggerty about doubles their rate for modified cars, Auto Club doesn't rate my car as modified because of headers and disc brakes, neither does State Farm. I think I will try American Collector again and check stock instead of modified. By the way a six month State Farm premium is 181.40 but it has 100 and 250 deductible on comp and collision, not bad but 318.00 with 0 deductibles annual premium from AAA is better. Grundy was very good, but the family sold it, my former agent is trying to warn me about what they did to him and how they did it, I do know they kept upping my agreed value and premium.

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
American Collectors quote after I changed it to original is 285.00 for a year with 0 deductible. Now I would need to talk to an agent and find out if headers and disc brakes put me in the modified class? Monday should be a busy day, thanks everyone for the input on this.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have Haggerty for the race car. $380 for the year (if I remember right) and I get 70k if something happens to it. The car is not street driven and not covered during an actual race. But it does cover all kinds of tools, shop equipment, and spare parts which I thought was pretty cool.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have State Farm(I have had them for 20 years) on my 62 SS 409 stroker motor with disc brakes, headers valued at $55,000. 6 months rate $128.00.
Coverage is $250,000/500,000/100,000 with $ 100 deductable Comp and $250 on Collision plus it includes underinsured and uninsured for $ 100,000/300,000.
Never had any problems with value or coverage with any modifications. I have provided appraisals sometimes. In fact they have asked over the years if I am underinsured for value on some of my 62's. They have been checking value every year for the last 3 years with my approval of value.
My 62 SS 327 convert is $104 for 6 months($31,000). My 62 327 4 speed HT is $100 for 6 months ($29,000). Both of these 62's have $100 deductable collision -rest of coverage is same. My rates have not changed much in the last 10 years. The area has some bearing on what the rates are to my knowledge. Lincoln, Neb. office is the office for State Farm.
My 57 Chevy HT has $50 comp deductable and $50 collision deductable which they do not write now. I beleive $100 is minimum deductable.
Paul